I want to change the status of all the 'Done' tickets as soon as I complete the Sprint. How?

Pankaj Badaya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 28, 2020

I want to change the status of all the 'Done' tickets as soon as I complete the Sprint. How to do that.

I have two boards, one is Sprint Board and One is Kanban board.

On completion of Sprint, I want to move all completed tickets to Kanban Board. Can any help me?

More Information

Basically, I have a sprint board for development and Kanban Board for UAT.

I have a status which will display the issue in Kanban backlog. So basically, I want automation to set the status (to next status) of all the Done issues in Sprint board on click of 'Complete Sprint'.

So it automatically moves all the tickets to the next stage (Backlog of UAT) on completion of Sprint.

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Hi @Pankaj_Badaya  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

So, if I understand you correctly, you want to mark an issue as Done on the Sprint board. Then you want the Done issue to show up on a Kanban board? Is that really what you want? What will you do with it once it gets to the Kanban board?

Please let us know if you are needing something different. 

Pankaj Badaya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 2, 2020

Hello John,

Thanks for your quick response.

Basically, I have a sprint board for development and Kanban Board for UAT.

I have a status which will display the issue in Kanban backlog. So basically, I want automation to set the status (to next status) of all the Done issues in Sprint board on click of 'Complete Sprint'.

So it automatically moves all the tickets to the next stage (Backlog of UAT) on completion of Sprint.

Like Patty Yuen likes this
Patty Yuen December 2, 2020

I have the same question. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

I think we're still struggling to understand why you think you want to do this.

When a sprint is complete, it's complete.  It should not change the status of anything in it, it's not what determines where an issue is in its process.  It actually reads the status to decide whether something goes to backlog, next sprint, or drops into the pile of stuff you don't need to do anything about any more.

Like John Funk likes this

Apologies if I hijacked Pankaj's original question but here is my issue. 

I can't seem to edit the query to show issues in the current Active Sprint.

On this board, all the issues that are DONE belong to the November Sprint (closed).  It seems the only way to get them off the board and show issues from the December (current Active sprint) is to mark them as CLOSED and then Manually move all the December tickets on to this board. 

My actual question is

Capture.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Hi Patty - what is the actual status used in the Done column? 

Capture.PNG

I didn't think you could edit that column's query (or don't know where to do it) - I just dragged the status DONE item into the column

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Was the Done status already in that column? Or did you just now drag it there? 

Yes, it was already there.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

Hey Patty - this is a Kanban board and not a Scrum board. So there will be no auto moving of the cards off of the board when you close a Sprint like there is on a Scrum board.

But if you do not want to see Done issues on the board, then go to Board Settings > General and change the sub filter to not include Done issues - probably add something like AND statusCategory != Done

Patty Yuen December 3, 2020

Yep. Do you know if there is any syntax to query for Sprints = Active or Sprints = Closed?

Sprints seem to have numbers assigned (ie even if the Sprint is named December 2020, the query will translate in SQL to Sprint = 10). 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

project = ABC and sprint in closedSprints()

or

project = ABC and sprint in openSprints()

Patty Yuen December 7, 2020

Thank you!!!!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2020

If that was helpful can you click on the Accept Answer button to close this one out. Thanks!

Perhaps I can't see an Accept button because I didn't create the original issue?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2020

You should still see the Green button above - do you not?

I do not.

Capture.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2020

You would need to go to the top of this Thread. 

Capture.PNGSorry, I'm really new to JIRA.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2020

Okay, good enough - didn't realize it did that.  :-)

Like Patty Yuen likes this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2020

We will need some more information on this request.  On the surface, it seems wrong, as "done" means "done", so you don't really want them on a board.

But I think there's a more complex process we don't know about.  Could you explain?

Suggest an answer