I stopped receiving email notifications abruptly

Naga Pavani October 29, 2019

Hello there,

I have enabled email notifications option to receive all the notifications on my gmail account tied to Jira. I used to receive updates regularly until August. From August 6th, I stopped receiving any of the notifications from JIRA to my email. I have checked all my settings, tried changing my password but nothing really worked. It's really weird that I am not receiving ANY of the notifications now. Can someone please help here?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2019

Hi Naga,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I was able to check on our mail server that there was a bounce on your address on August 5 informing that the account does not exist, that's why since the date you mentioned you stopped receiving notifications.

2019-08-05T16:12:54+00:00

550: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuch... - gsmtp

I removed this bounce and now everything should work as expected.

Please, check if you will receive notifications and let us know if you face any issue.

Regards,
Angélica

Naga Pavani October 29, 2019

Ahh that should be it. I receive notifications now. Thanks so much for the help!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Emma Liu May 3, 2020

Hi Angélica,

This happened to my account as well. Can you also check for me? Much appreciated!

@Angélica Luz 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2020

Hi @Emma Liu,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

There was a block on your email address and I removed. It should work now.

550: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuch... - gsmtp

Regards,
Angélica

Emma Liu May 4, 2020

Thank you so so much, Angélica. This has been a pain in my ass for the past two months!

Finally, this is resolved.

Thank you~

Emma Liu May 31, 2020

Hi Angélica,

Hope you are doing well.

I have another account that also has the same issue, emma@arcadedevhouse.com.au.

Can you please help?

Much appreciated.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2020

Hello @Emma Liu,

Hope you are doing well too!

There was a block on the email address you mentioned and also other addresses from the same domain, so I removed it. It was the same error than the previous one:

Regards,
Angélica

Emma Liu June 1, 2020

Thanks a million!

It works!

Emma Liu January 4, 2021

Hi Angélica,

It's been a while since our last conversation. Hope you are doing well.

The issue seems to happen again. I stopped getting emails this morning.

Can you please check?

Thanks,

Emma

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2021

Hello Emma,

I'm doing great. Hope you are fine and safe!

I checked your email address, but there are no bounces or blocks, so I believe that you were affected by an incident where notifications were not being sent to Service Management users.

- Email notifications are not being sent to users for Jira Service Management 

The issue was already fixed. Please, let us know if you are still facing issues.

Regards,
Angélica

Emma Liu January 5, 2021

Hey Angelica,

Thanks so much!

I can get the notification again. Much appreciate your prompt action.

Have a great day! 

Emma Liu April 12, 2022

Hi Angelica,

Hope you are well and safe!

Things happen again. I stopped receiving email notifications in recent days. Can you help?

Thanks!

Emma

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2022

Hello Emma,

I'm doing good, thank you. Hope you are too!

There was a bounce on your email address due to the same error and I removed it:

The notifications should work normally now.

Warm regards,
Angélica

Emma Liu April 13, 2022

Hi Angélica,

Amazing!!! I can receive notifications now. All good.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Emma

Emma Liu May 16, 2022

Hi Angélica,

Me again. I seem to have the issue with notification again. Can you please check if the email bounced?

Also, can you share some light regarding why my email keeps getting bounced so I can manage from my end?

Thanks.

Emma Liu May 17, 2022

Hi Angélica,

Add to my request. We have another user who is having an issue with notifications,  nicky@bowwow.com.au. He has been trying to reset his password but was not able to cause no email coming to his inbox.

Can you please help with this as well?

Thanks.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2022

Hi Emma,

There was a bounce due to the same error again:

For Nicky, the error was:

550: 550 invalid mailbox (call fwd) 

From our other tool that we use to view the mail deliverability, we can see this message:

554 5.7.1 [internal] recipient address was suppressed due to customer policy

The reasons for the 554 5.7.1 errors are:

1. The address was invalid (the address does not exist).
2. The user clicked the list-unsubscribe header.
3. The user clicked one of your emails and flagged it as SPAM. This FBL (Feedback Loop) event should add that email address to your Suppression List.
4. Automatically being added due to a previous delivery error.

If the mail server team made some maintenance, for example, and the mailbox was unavailable and during this maintenance period a notification was sent, that could cause these bounces.

Regards,
Angélica

Emma Liu May 23, 2022

Thanks, Angélica. I can receive notifications now.

All good!

Emma Liu July 20, 2022

Hey Angélica,

Can you please help again? I stopped receiving emails again recently.

Thanks,

Emma

Emma Liu July 27, 2022

@Angélica Luz 
Hi Angélica,

Looks like my emal bounced again. I couldn't get email notifications.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Emma

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2022

Hi @Emma Liu,

The bounce was related to the same error:

The notifications should be delivered normally now.

Regards,
Angélica

Emma Liu July 31, 2022

Great! Thank you so much, Angélica@Angélica Luz 

Emma Liu August 10, 2023

@Angélica Luz 

Hi Angelica,

Not sure why, but it happened again. Email notifications stopped since Aug 1st. Can you help?

And do you know what I can do to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks!

Emma Liu December 21, 2023

@Angélica Luz 

Merry Christmas! 

Can you help with this email notification issue. The email notifications stopped since Aug 1st.

Thanks!

0 votes
Dhruvesh Khiara January 4, 2023

Hi @Angélica Luz One of our users is having the same issues can you check our domain for any bounces please.

0 votes
Alexandre Martin May 15, 2020

Hi Angelica, I have the same problem, could you check my account please?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 18, 2020

Hello Alexandre,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

I saw that you created a ticket with our support and they already removed the bounces from your email address.

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Emmanuel Rasetto March 2, 2020

Emmanuel Rasetto March 2, 2020
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2020

Hi @Emmanuel Rasetto

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

I did a bulk search for your domain and 10 email addresses were affected by the error below:

550: 550 ... / Usuario desconocido / Usuario desconhecido

Please, take your time to test and let us know if it works.

Regards,
Angélica

Emmanuel Rasetto March 3, 2020

Hi Angelica, everything works perfect now, thank you!

Rajesh_Reddy March 5, 2020

rajesh.boyalapalli@infosys.com

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2020

Hello @Rajesh_Reddy

Welcome to Community!

I didn't find anything specific for your email, but for the domain, there were many bounces:

550: 550 [internal] [oob] The recipient is invalid.

Take your time to test and let us know if it works.

Regards,
Angélica

Rajesh_Reddy March 6, 2020

Hello Angelica,

I am receving confluence page updates but I am not receiving Jira defectID's to my mailbox which has status like need clarification,Open, Reject,Fixed etc...

Please suggest

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 9, 2020

Thank you for the details, Rajesh.

Since you are not receiving notifications from Jira and there is nothing blocking the notifications on our side, I'd suggest you talk to your administrator to confirm if you have permission to the ticket and in the project. 

You may also check your profile in Jira and confirm your notification preferences. Go to your Profile picture > Settings.

Charbel Jarjour June 13, 2023

Hi @Angélica Luz I hope you are doing great!

I have the same problem for my end, Some users cannot receive notifications.

Instance: Jira.maqta.ae 

Could you please check on your end if there any Users on the suppression list.

thank you in advance!

Suggest an answer