Hyperlink in Automation for text

Adam May 29, 2020

I am new to Jira so bear with me.

I have been able to send a link to slack for an issue by using {{issue.url}} which looks like:

Message in Jira: {{issue.assignee.displayName}} just completed {{issue.url}}

Result in Slack:  "UserXXX just completed https://xxx.atlassian.net/browse/issue-##"

But I would like it to look like:

" UserXXX just completed issue-##"

where the "issue-##" is a hyperlink to the site. This is a simple example as the real message. I will actually have several links in the message and it gets quite confusing when there are 5+ fully listed out URL's 

I tried [{{issue}} | {{issue.url}}} but that just messages

[issue-##|https://xxx.atlassian.net/browse/issue-##]

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2020

Hey Adam, welcome to the Community!

You're nearly there. Slack uses the link format "<URL|text>", so an issue key link in Automation would look like this:

<{{issue.url}}|{{issue.key}}>

Swap that in and you'll be in business!

Cheers,
Daniel

Adam May 29, 2020

Awesome this worked!!

Is there documentation that you can point me to for learning these things?  I am actually trying to use Jira to run a mechanical design project and my needs defiantly don't fit the mold. 

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2020

For this bit, I referenced Slack's API documentation and checked the section on formatting links.

In general for learning Jira automation, reading articles here on Community is a good start, as well as browsing through questions that look similar to what you're trying to work with. Through the end of June, there's also free Atlassian University training courses. Happy learning!

0 votes
Bridgitte Molyneux June 7, 2022

Anyone know how we could parse out a regular link in a comment on a ticket and change it to a slack format before using that comment in a slack message so it's clickable?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events