How will calculated fields be handled once HTML has been disabled in field descriptions?

Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

Atlassian has already announced that a future version of JIRA will be disabling HTML within all Field Descriptions.  We are currently using several calculated fields and would like to be proactive with trying to find a solution before the ball drops.  We currently have the Script Runner plugin and while we know that could be an option, we are trying to avoid new "scripts" being the answer. 

4 answers

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

Thanks. But it seems there is no real plan yet. Nothing of that sort has been announced so far. Furthermore, they seem to be deprecating the use of JavaScript in field descriptions, not necessarily html. If Atlassian decides to prevent the use of comments for JMCF, we will find another way to implement the same features. Fortunately, Atlassian usually gives plugin developers a relatively long heads-up, so I'm not too worried.

0 votes
Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2015
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2015

They've not strictly "announced" it - it's just been mentioned in a few places (mostly on issues related to where they've started on removing it). It's always been a terrible botch injecting html, or worse, javascript in field descriptions, and always a security hole, so I see why they're doing it. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-37576 is the one where I first noticed it.

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2015

Can you please point me to the communication from Atlassian announcing this change? Thanks.

Suggest an answer