How will calculated fields be handled once HTML has been disabled in field descriptions?

Atlassian has already announced that a future version of JIRA will be disabling HTML within all Field Descriptions.  We are currently using several calculated fields and would like to be proactive with trying to find a solution before the ball drops.  We currently have the Script Runner plugin and while we know that could be an option, we are trying to avoid new "scripts" being the answer. 

4 answers

Can you please point me to the communication from Atlassian announcing this change? Thanks.

0 vote

They've not strictly "announced" it - it's just been mentioned in a few places (mostly on issues related to where they've started on removing it). It's always been a terrible botch injecting html, or worse, javascript in field descriptions, and always a security hole, so I see why they're doing it. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-37576 is the one where I first noticed it.

Thanks. But it seems there is no real plan yet. Nothing of that sort has been announced so far. Furthermore, they seem to be deprecating the use of JavaScript in field descriptions, not necessarily html. If Atlassian decides to prevent the use of comments for JMCF, we will find another way to implement the same features. Fortunately, Atlassian usually gives plugin developers a relatively long heads-up, so I'm not too worried.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

81 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you