How to use import issues from CSV to create Epics?

Mendoza_ Joseph Conrad March 21, 2023

I am trying to create several epics using the Import issues from CSV but unfortunately, it is not creating the epics. It is creating Initiatives instead. I am doing some testing but during this testing, it is failing. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I hope someone can help me.

I am checking the detailed log. And it says that I am not declaring any Issue Type. But in my table I have the field IssueType and I also tried Issue Type field. I entered Epic as the value for this two fields but still it is creating Initiatives. I also tried numbers 1 and 2 but nothing happened.

image.pngimage.png

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Hello @Mendoza_ Joseph Conrad 

The content of the Issue Type field in your CSV needs to be the name of the type of issue you want to create; i.e. Epic, Story, Initiative.

When you go through the Import Wizard and are on the page that maps columns from your CSV to fields in Jira, are you mapping your "IssueType" column to the "Issue Type" field?

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 10.38.13 AM.png

Is "Epic" a valid issue type for the project into which you are importing issues?

Mendoza_ Joseph Conrad March 21, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill thank you for your reply. unfortunately, in the list of fields that can be use for mapping, IssueType is not one them. How can I add this field as one of the fields available for Mapping?

I am not an admin. Can i request this to be added to our Admin?

Don Masten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

Only admins can map to the issue type field. Your admin can import this for you.

Like # people like this
Mendoza_ Joseph Conrad March 22, 2023

thank you

Suggest an answer