How to use Release in JIRA?

Mandar Sane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2019

I am Scrum Master of Infra Team. We typically deliver DEV, TEST, PrePROD, PROD capability for various application teams.

I want to use Release functionality in JIRA to plan my infra releases down the line.

I am thinking of creating DEV Release, TEST Release, PP Release, Prod Release placeholders for my planning.

Whatever Epics/Stories I will deliver for DEV Release will also need to go in for TEST Release and few additional more (may be), and to PP Release and so on so forth.

So the question is, will I be able to fall-over/take-forward my already "released Epics/Stories" onto my next release DEV->TEST->PP->Prod etc and "release them again"?

OR in JIRA, once a Epic/Story is released, it is sort of Done-Done and can't be taken over again "to be released" for next release?

1 answer

0 votes
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2019

Hi there,

Typically a release would be used only "once". Meaning stuff that is released is considered Live/Production.

I would not personally suggest to use releases how you describe them.

You could surely introduce a new metric for keeping track of the stages where your code is though. Either simply a status in the workflow, or either a custom field/label/linked issue, etc.

Cheers

Suggest an answer