How to update a workflow that is used by a scheme that is shared by 50 projects?

It seems that I reached a moment where it seems almost impossible to update an workflow because it is used by 50 project.

I need to add a new transition to the Closed state and jira does not allow me to do this using Draft edit, is telling me that you cannot add transitions if the state does not have any (final).

Now, the usual workaround is to Copy the workflow do the edit and reasing it. BUT, you have also to copy the Workflow Scheme in order to do this and my Workflow schem is used by >50 projects.

It is almost impossible to go to each project and switch the workflow scheme to the new one, that's insane.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer
Timothy Chin Community Champion Apr 25, 2013

I wonder whether this is the feature that will help you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+6.0+Beta+1+Release+Notes#JIRA6.0Beta1ReleaseNotes-Betterworkflow

But yea, overall, I think you would be stuck with what you have now.

Yes, that's a good enough reason for switching to Jira 6.0 as soon as possible. Just hope the release will came sooner.

we wrote a Selenium script to update Workflow Schemes for 40+ projects. not ideal, but worked well...

another option that might work in pre-6 JIRA : https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/Documentation#Documentation-updateProject

0 votes

+1 to trying the JCLI route. Probably the quickest, cleanest approach. Usual caveats apply (test thoroughly, backup, do off-hours, etc.)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,377 views 15 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you