How to support multiple layer of support team?

Halby V November 16, 2016

Hello,

I am evaluating JIRA for my organization. I have a requirement, I couldn't find how to achieve this. Please let me know how I can.

Our process is,

1. we have one support desk that takes care of all the incoming issues/requests for the organization. (Say 1st level)
  2. Once identified where the issue is, move the case to corresponding 2nd level team (entirely different team), (say Web Apps 1, web app 2, database, infrastructure so on)
  3. Level 2 might move tickets among other level 2 teams

how is this achieved.

Thank you!

//Halby

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2016

Halby,

oh....smile absolutely! you can move issues between projects. easily done.

The only thing you may wrestle with a bit here is the customer connection. I haven't tried this yet and wonder if the customer is notified of the move an what happens if they reply to the original issue creation email. I suspect/hope that JSD will retain the connection and the customer's reply would go into the now moved ticket's comments. If you have a trial JSD up and running simply create two projects and give it a try to see if it meets your expectations.

to move an issue simply use the Move function under the ellipses in upper right of view issue screen.

image2016-11-18 9:10:13.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2016

Halby,

It depends on how you want to do it to be honest. JSD is pretty flexible and certainly can be used as you describe. The thing to keep in mind is that anyone that will work on a JSD issue will need a license. Without fully understanding your situation I offer some options/guidelines here.

It sounds like the T1 team simply triages the issue to ensure there is enough info and then routes it to a team to investigate/address. In this case you should have a prime for each team and then simply reassign the issue to the prime.

If your scenario requires, or it is desired to maintain the T1 Agent to Customer relationship, i.e. the T1 agent should always own the ticket and the communications with the customer then you would simply clone the issue and assign the clone to the T2/T3 agent. If you go this path you may wish to create a new status/state called "Escalated" (or similar). You can create automation if desired to automatically set the original ticket to Resolved when the clone is resolved or you could create a comment in the original such that the T1 agent was notified and could take appropriate action on the original ticket.

Maybe there are more requirements here that would result in something more complicated so please let me know if I'm missing something.

~j

Halby V November 18, 2016

Sorry Jack, was away from work last day. and thank you for your response smile

This sounds a possible way, but may not be more effective for me

I would prefer something like, I will create 1 project for 1st level support, 2-3 projects for 2nd level and more projects for level 3. based on the number of application.

when I get an issue at level 1, and if I have to move to level 2, one way is to duplicate the issue from level 1 to level 2 (one project to another) and link to level 1. but this is kind of a repetition. 

I wanted to know if there are a way to move the same ticket to the different project?

I know to some extend the solution that you preferred works, but I basically don't want t2 agents to get into T1 support box or so.

Thank you!

Suggest an answer