How to sum a custom field value from child issues to epic parent

Alon Shoham November 27, 2022

Hello,

I'm trying to find the smart value that describes a parent's child issues.

I have created an automation that sum the values of a custom field, from sub-tasks to their Stroy/Task parent.

Now, I'm trying to level it on step up, and take the same value I got for Story/Task and sum it up to the epic level (taking all the value from all the stories/tasks under the epic).

You can see the automation that takes from sub-tasks to story/task (in the answer below) - which works perfectly.
I can't find a way to take it one level up to epic.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2022

Hi @Alon Shoham 

I wrote an article a while back about adding original estimate to an Epic. You could use this as a starting point an replace your original estimate with your variable https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Calculate-the-sum-of-original-estimates-of-all-issue-types-to-an/ba-p/1660572

Alon Shoham November 28, 2022

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ Thank you so much for your answer.

The automation failed in the 'Advance' JSON format.

Those are the fields and hirarcy I have, If you could suggest me how to write the JSON format I would appreciate it a lot!

1. In every Task/Story there is a field called "Effort estimation - DS".
(The 'Lookup issues' is success to find all the tasks/stories under certain epic)

2. In every Epic there is a field called "Effort estimation - DS".

I want the automation to sum the values from "Effort estimation - DS" in all the tasks and stories and present the total sum in the Epic's "Effort estimation - DS" field.

That's how I wrote the JSON:

{
"fields": {
"Effort Estimation - DS": {
"Effort Estimation - DS" : "{{lookupIssues.Effort Estimation - DS.sum}}"
}
}
}

image.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

Hi @Alon Shoham 

Your JSON should be something like:

{
"fields": {
"Effort Estimation - DS" : "{{lookupIssues.Effort Estimation - DS.sum}}"
}
}

You had an extra field for a strange reason. Maybe you got confused with my automation and the "time tracking" field, which is a special bundle type of field.

Try the JSON above and let me know. If it fails, see the audit log and paste the message.

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ you are awesome!!! It works perfectly! 

The community is never disappointing! thanks again.

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2022

@Alon Shoham nice to hear that! Kindly mark my answer as accepted in order to help others! Cheers!

Drew Lahl June 21, 2023

Thank you for the guidance on this @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

Helped me with a similar scenario!

Taha Tabatabaei March 4, 2024

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 
Hello, I attempted using this method to sum up the values of a numeric custom field (e.g., customfield_11035) in tasks to their epic. However, each time the automation is triggered, it consistently returns 0 as the result within my epics. Do you have any suggestions on how to rectify this issue?

0 votes
Alon Shoham November 27, 2022

Automation:

image.png

Muhammad Moazzam Hassan March 9, 2023

is it working fine?

Suggest an answer