How to store multiple emp id in JIRA custom field

sanjay_sapra May 31, 2021

Hi Team ,

I want to store some emp id in any custom field in JIRA . Please suggest which type of field can choose while creating custom field .

Example :- 1000001,1000002 , 100003 >>> want to store these 

Also I need to make sure I can search through JQL like for 2 emp id only.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2021

A multi-select list would be best for this, but it does mean that you would need an admin to maintain the list of available IDs.

Jay May 31, 2021

Beat me to it.  

@sanjay_sapra  I use these types of custom fields to outline the tools we use, the products the ticket relates to and other items within our business team tickets to tailor their entry experience and allow mandatory/optional items at different stages.

As Nic suggests you do however need to manage these and it can be a hassle when you have really long lists to not only manage them but find the right value and complete them.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
0 votes
sanjay_sapra June 1, 2021

@Jay  

I have created multi select list . But my concern how I can add multiple users in a single request and same how I can fetch through JQL .

e.g I want to modify 10 users status /profile in a single JIRA , How I can store their emp id in a single custom field . and after some time I want to extract the status update through JQL for a single employee . How that will work. 

Emp id like 100001, 100002 , 100003 error and field.JPG

Jay June 1, 2021

A Select List Multi Choice custom field allows you to select multiple values within the list.  Ctrl Click should do just like multi selecting anything these days in lists.

Exporting is easy, I regularly export 'All Field' CSV and you will see when opening it in Excel you get multiple fields with a name like Custom Field (Employee ID) and the value in them.  

Hope it helps.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

>I have created multi select list . But my concern how I can add multiple users in a single request

When creating or editing the issue, you select multiple values in the multi-select list.

>and same how I can fetch through JQL

You can search on it by saying things like '"Employee id" = 100001'.  How that is shown in the results ("fetched" in your question) is up to what you are using the results in.  If it's the issue navigator, then have the employee id field selected as a display column, if it's a dashboard gadget that groups by fields, select the emplyee id as a group field, and so-on

>and after some time I want to extract the status update through JQL for a single employee

I do not understand the question here.  What is "extracting the status update ... for a single employee"?  You can find the issues with the employee named on them as above, but I am not clear on what the status update extract is

> screenshot

I don't know why you are showing us this?  It's got three fields that are not suitable for what you're asking to do on it and no explanation of why you're showing us them.

Suggest an answer