How to set estimations via storypoints in numbers?

andreas_galster_mclinica July 27, 2017

I have set up JIRA to use storypoints for estimations and added the estimate field to our board, however when I click on the estimate field I can only see estimations via small, medium, large. I want to use numbers instead.

2017-07-27.png

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

That "Estimate" field is a custom field your administrators have added, and defined as a select list.

You need to get them to add a proper numeric field for Story Points or estimates.

I'm an admin, I should be able to change that. Can you point me to where I can edit that. Under custom fields I can't seem to edit the type of field.

Hmm, so there's two options, right?

I can add my own field for SP Estimations, but then that won't show up in the preview as the estimation number.

Or I can get all the other teams to adopt numbers instead of small, medium, large. 

I don't necessarily want to change the behavior of the other teams, is it possible to just show the number of my new field called SP estimations in the preview?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

Ok, yes, an admin can add fields, but you can't convert between types (the data is stored in different formats - imagine you had a field with "elephant" in it and you tried to change it to a number...).

Yes, you should add your own field, a numeric one.  I'm not sure which "preview" you mean, but almost all the screens will allow you to see it, and more importantly, when you select it as the estimation statistic, you'll find the boards highlight it (because it's very important for them)

Suggest an answer