How to set default assignee based on issue type (JIRA Cloud)

Masashi Enya December 12, 2018

I am using JIRA Cloud.

I want to set a default assignee based on issue type. I found this article and follow this but it didn't work. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Default-assignee-for-issue-type/qaq-p/215044

I tried different post function such as "assign to the reporter" or "update priority to highest", and they worked, but only "update assignee to specific person" doesn't work.
(This means all workflow (scheme) setting is correctly done.)

I assume this is a bug. Please let me know if you encounter similar problem or any good solution.

Best Regards,

Masa

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2018

Hello,

You need to create different workflows for each issue type and then add the Update Issue post function for the create transition. In this post function set the correct assignee.

Hi Alexey

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I created another workflow by copying the current workflow. And then assign specific issue type to new one, but it didn't work. Other post function worked for the specific issue type which is assigned to a new workflow. That's why I have no idea why only "update assignee to specific person" doesn't work.

It'd be great if you have any further ideas. 

Thanks!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2018

Make sure that the workflow is published and that the user who creates the issue has the Assign Users permission and that the user, to whom you assign, has the Assignable users permission

Yes, it's published. I added other post functions on the same workflow and it works. Assign user is a member of this project so it should be no problem.

Thanks,

John Bogoev March 11, 2021

Hi,

We are trying to set the assignee to a specific person in our team when by default by using the workflow method described above. We don't want them to the set as the project lead. The "users" that will create the tickets are our customers and Jirra won't let us grant them the Assign Users permission.

Any ideas?

Regards

John

Suggest an answer