Default assignee for issue type

Rumceisz July 9, 2012

Hi All,

Is it possible to set default assigne user to different issue types?

How can it be set?

Thanks for your help!

Rumi

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2012
1 vote
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2013

@Venu Madhav

If you have separate workflows for each issue type then go to workflow create issue transition and add Update Issue Field postfunction, select Assignee and Value to specific user you want.

The following gives you idea:

If you have same workflow for different issue types then you have to write your own postfunction or check thomas links for fulfilling your task.

0 votes
Venu Madhav October 24, 2013

Hi Bharadwaj,

Heartly thanks for quick response.

I have updated the issue field with my name as you suggested above and created the issue but still it is assigning to Project Lead(not me).

I am sure that I am the culprit but couldn't address that problem.

I am briefing below what I want.

1. created one issue type "Support".

2. created a separete workflow for issue type support.

3. Now I will create issue by selecting issue type "Support" (assignee option is not there in the create screen).

4. after issue created it is by defalut assinging to project lead. as per above setting it should assign to me but its not.

Kindly guide me as it is bit urjent.

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2013

forget to tell, you bring the postfunction completely down after you add to transition as and try.

also don't forget to publish the draft after every thing made.

2) On your create screen, you should be able to see Assignee field. If you are not able to see the field meant, some other screen is displaying for create operation or Assignee field is removed from the Default Screen.

Bruce Wang December 17, 2015

Contradict to Bharadwaj's answer, I had to put the "Assignee" Post Function to the top before "Creates the issue originally" in order to get the correct assignee. The following will be processed after the transition occurs 1. The Assignee of the issue will be set to NEW ASSIGNEE. 2. Creates the issue originally. 3. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database. 4. Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners. JIRA Version 7.1.0-OD-02-030 Build Number 71001

Like # people like this
Sai Nanduri April 5, 2019

Excellent. This works!

Asparuh Georgiev April 19, 2021

That actually worked for me too :) 

0 votes
Venu Madhav October 24, 2013

Even I have the same query like how to assign issue to specific user based on issue type?

I have created different workflow for that specific issuetype and went to post function but I didn't find proper query to add the condition.

Kindly give me the query to assign issue to individual user(user can be any jira user) in post function.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2012

You mean a default assignee when the issue is created? If so, you can do it in the Create post function in the workflow. You should have different workflow for different issuetypes.

Suggest an answer