How to set a default component for any issue type?

Isa He January 10, 2020

Hi there,

I am struggling with setting up a component as default? Anyone could help, please? Thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

Hi

You could set it using Automation For JIRA plugin. Its functionality is so easy.

Selection_029.png

If you have any trouble, let me know.

Isa He January 10, 2020

Thanks for your reply. This plugin looks straightforward. I may try it out. 

Like Ansar Rezaei likes this
0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

You can't set components to have default values.  You could set a value after issue creation, using a workflow post-function.

Isa He January 10, 2020

Thanks Pete! I shall try to use post-function and see how it goes.

0 votes
Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2020

Hello @Isa He 

It is not possible to set component by default on an issue type basis. You can only select it to be project specific.

It is however possible to set the component field during a transition (for example, the created transition) with a post function (assuming that the different issue types have different workflows). This post function is not included in out of the box Jira since you need more advanced post function which can be achieved from using plugins. I am using the JMWE plugin with the post function "set field value". I hope that this information can be of any help!

Best regards,

Alexander

Isa He January 10, 2020

Hi Alexander,

Thank you so much for your reply. So the workaround is to set the default component after the ticket is created but not at the point of creation. Correct?

Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2020

In my project, I set the component at this transition:

image.png

So for the user that is creating the issue, it happens automatically. It's technically not a "default" component for the issue type, but the value is set when the issue is created and will be visible when a user views the issue after creation. 

Isa He January 10, 2020

Cool. As long as the component is set, it works for me. Many thanks.

Like Alexander Ling likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events