How do I set Next Gen project default assignee in Cloud Jira

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2019

you can access "Manage rules" in the board view where you can set the assignee based on certain actions, e.g. when issue is created.

oh and... Live long and prosper

Wendy Thorneloe May 24, 2019

Hi Jack!!

I didn't see a rule for when issue is created.

I only saw a rule for when an issue is moved

Like Zack likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2019

dang... i assumed if you chose "to do" (the first status) it would work but nooooo...

However, I did find a solution that is lots of fun. :-) Here is the complete thread - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-do-i-set-default-assignee-and-workflow-in-next-gen-projects/qaq-p/943401

However, here is the solution steps that basically has you getting access to the project Details page by constructing the URL

Find your project ID:

1. navigate to your project 
  2. hit the "/" key to bring up the search sidebar
  3. mouse over the NG project in the recent list
  4. you should see the url in the footer (Firefox works but not Safari)
  5. Note and remember the searchContainerId
  6. enter the following URL replacing your-company and the PID
  7. on that page you will see default assignee at the bottom.

https://your-company.atlassian.net/secure/project/EditProject!default.jspa?pid=PID

Like Jean Canazzi likes this
Wendy Thorneloe May 24, 2019

Yes it worked!!

Thank you

PK September 18, 2019

I'm on the details page, using the searchContainerId, but don't see anywhere that shows the default assignee.  Bummer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Wendy Thorneloe September 18, 2019

You followed the steps above?

PK September 18, 2019

Yes, and I just noticed a comment in this thread, made August 23rd, confirming that this solution no longer works.

" guyguy Aug 23, 2019

This solution no longer works... Jira now redirects to the "new" page for this that does not have the setting for lead or default assignee.

Like # people like this
Jean Canazzi October 11, 2019

Hi, the magic trick from Jack (thanks btw) has stopped working for me since about 2 months ago. The "default assignee" field is simply gone.

Like # people like this
Addown Support May 22, 2020

Thanks for this share @Sarwar Faruque!

I remember I thanked you for sharing Classic Settings in another post, but not yet for this one. I recently noticed some participants of this post shared us too, so I thought it'd be nice to let you know it made a difference.

1 vote
1chris May 17, 2020

Took me ages, but finally figured how to add a default assignee for Next Gen Issues.

Just open any existing issue (existing, not new), click Automation rules on the right hand side.

Add a new rule with 'Issue creation' as the trigger, save, then set the assignee.

Now they will always be assigned the issue once it's created. Be aware it can take 2 seconds, so it will be created with unassigned, and then almost instantly change when the rule is run from the trigger. 

I assume we no longer need an assigned lead for projects, as this approach does exactly the same, but with more control - albeit slightly harder to set up ... though only once, and really only a few more clicks than Classic.

I think it's sort of better overall, but needs more UX management to make it easier to set something which seems a pretty obvious control.

0 votes
Matt_Sommer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 13, 2020

Hi, did anyone find another workaround? The workaround identified doesn't work for me on Jira Cloud. Jira Next-Gen suuuucks

PK February 13, 2020

Alas, no.  I've got our teams assigning issues to me so I get an email that it was created.  I can then revise as necessary.  Yeah, it is ridiculous that JIRA botched this.

Like Addown Support likes this

Suggest an answer