How do i set default assignee and workflow in next-gen projects?

Nikki Kim November 19, 2018

In Next-Gen projects, I have NO way of 

1. set default assignee 

- tried adding a rule to set assign when moved to To Do status in Kanban board. It only works when it is "moved to" To Do status. Not when an issue is created and "placed in" To Do status. 

2. assign a workflow to issues 

- previously, when created a project, there was auto-generated workflow for the project. I couldn't find it so I created a workflow and associated to the workflow scheme. Now, I can't find place to associate this workflow scheme to my projects. 

Next-Gen is great, but missing something should be very "default" for the users. 

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2018

Hello,

Use the Manage Rules option in the board menu to set an assignee:

Untitled.png

I did try that, thank you. (mentioned on my question.)

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2018

Ok. I got it.

1. I guess, it is not possible yet.

2. You can not link a workflow, which is created in the issues->worflows, to a next-gen project. You should change the columns in the board.

Thanks, Alexey. 

As I suspected... I really could use default assignee to be someone specific. :)

Anyways, thanks for the timely responses!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2018

You are most welcome!

Joseph Niemiec February 18, 2019

I want to second that we use default assigne. We will be deleting our next-gen project in favor of the older ones to regain this feature. 

Like # people like this
Dheeraj Gupta November 2, 2019

Hi Alexey,

The approach you given is NOT working for me. Because, the issue state is the default state while creating the JIRA.

In case, when someone creates a JIRA the deafult state is "TO DO" and I use the same rule to assign the JIRA to me when the JIRA moves to "TO DO" state, but still the jira is getting created "Unassigned".

Is there any other approach or better way to configure the Automatic/Default assignee?

Like Addown Support likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

@Mandy Ross : One for the ACL Product Feedback Groups!

Like Steve Thompson likes this
1chris May 17, 2020

Took me ages, but finally figured how to add a default assignee for Next Gen Issues.

Just open any existing issue (existing, not new), click Automation rules on the right hand side.

Add a new rule with 'Issue creation' as the trigger, save, then set the assignee.

Now they will always be assigned the issue once it's created. Be aware it can take 2 seconds, so it will be created with unassigned, and then almost instantly change when the rule is run from the trigger. 

I assume we no longer need an assigned lead for projects, as this does exactly the same, but with more control - albeit slightly harder to set up ... though only once, and really only a few more clicks than Classic.

I think it's sort of better overall, but needs more UX management to make it easier to set something which seems a pretty obvious control.

Imran Raza November 20, 2020

@1chris 

In ref to: "Just open any existing issue (existing, not new), click
Automation rules on the right hand side."
Can you please share a screenshot on where did you exactly find the Automation rules option?

11 votes
Arthur Edmund February 24, 2019

I will also delete Next-Gen for a older version if we can't get a true default assignee.  Please fix.

Sarwar Faruque February 24, 2019

There's a way to do this for Next Gen projects. I don't remember the original source, but go to:

https://[account name].atlassian.net/secure/project/EditProject!default.jspa?pid=[PID NUMBER]

account name - first part of your URL

PID NUMBER - your project ID

Example:

https://testcompany.atlassian.net/secure/project/EditProject!default.jspa?pid=10029

Then you'll be presented with a page that lets you change the Project Lead. I had to go thru trial and error to figure out what my Project ID was. If there's a better way to list out the Project ID, I'd love to know.

Like # people like this
Samuel Ribas March 7, 2019

This solution was the only one that worked for me. This should be the accepted answer. The other solution proposed only works if you manually move the issues. Thank you Sarwar.

Like # people like this
Tim Bodea March 29, 2019

Thank you Sarwar! This worked for me. I found a way to reliably determine what a NextGen project's pid is, although it is a little convoluted:

1. Load up the Jira project list.
  2. Click on your project to access your next gen project's dashboard.
  3. Press "/" to bring the global search overlay.
  4. Under the "RECENT BOARDS, PROJECTS AND FILTERS" section you should see your NextGen project listed, since you just visited its dashboard.
  5. If you mouse over the link, you'll see it's "searchContainerId", you can use this as the pid!
Like # people like this
Danielle Koran April 1, 2019

it's actually the 'searchContainerId that you want, not the searchObjectId.  Just a tip

Like Tim Bodea likes this
Tim Bodea April 3, 2019

Thanks Danielle. Fixed.

Like Danielle Koran likes this
Jeremy Cline April 4, 2019

Thanks!  Is next-gen just not quite ready for full production use?  This is a ridiculous workaround just to auto-assign to only one person.

Like # people like this
Danielle Koran April 4, 2019

I mean, depends on your usage.  I'm using it to manage a three person IT team, and while a bit annoying I can't track time, it's not something that I necessarily am dying to utilize.  Our Development team is a entirely different thing, and it would break their processes if it didn't have time tracking.  

To that fact, only my IT team is on the "next gen" platform.  Just feels like we're being willing participants in beta testing something new.  Overall I like it.

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2019

@Danielle Koran, just FYI that you can get time tracking in Nex-Gen projects with the help of apps, e.g. Clockwork. It is a free app that logs time to Jira Worklog so when time tracking is implemented in Next-Gen you will be able to switch to native Jira solution without losing the data. 

Vishal June 26, 2019

Only this solution worked for me. This should be the accepted solution.

Guy Elsmore-Paddock August 23, 2019

This solution no longer works... Jira now redirects to the "new" page for this that does not have the setting for lead or default assignee.

Like # people like this
Archie_Reyes August 27, 2019

Second that, solution no longer works :(

Like # people like this
Brian Pitts October 1, 2019

Team unfortunately this doesn't work anymore... any other work arounds?

AJ Palmer October 29, 2019

+1 - Any info on a new work around or when this extremely basic feature will be added to NextGen (or hidden entirely)?

Robert Nadon October 31, 2019

Yes none of the above tricks work.   No sure why anyone would want to prevent automatic assignee, but if there is another work around please publish.  The only real use I can see from the next gen projects are for simply to do type projects.  I am using it for requests for improvements to the other Jira projects. 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

It seems to still work with Cloud instances by changing atlassian.net to jira.com... however can't get the right project to come up (yet). Checking why my PID project id is incorrect.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2020

Found the PID, but this work around does not work (anymore..). Shame

James McParlane May 11, 2020

Same. This workaround no longer works. How do we fix this? My project is currently broken? 

Cory Todd May 11, 2020

You can setup an automation to do it. It is an impressively over engineered workaround but it works.

1. Go to your next gen project
  2. Project Settings
  3. Apps (for some reason it is here)
  4. Automation
  5. Make rule

There a number of clicks to get through but it is fairly straight forward to create a rule to do this.

Like # people like this
Jean Canazzi May 11, 2020

@Cory ToddIndeed it now works! There is a newly added trigger "Issue created" that does the trick. A few months ago, it wasn't there (only "issue transitioned" trigger was there). Thank you!

Still, if you want to go for something more simple, you can install the free app Classic Settings for Next-Gen projects, that Sarwar Faruque suggested in the answer below
(https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222170/classic-settings-for-next-gen-projects?hosting=cloud&tab=overview). You then get a "default assignee" field under Settings/Apps/Classic Settings.

Like # people like this
Addown Support May 21, 2020

Big thanks for sharing this, @Jean Canazzi!

We naturally hear how Classic Settings brings back missing options (and we love it!), but offering next-gen project admins a time saving alternative for essential configuration needs is definitely a plus worth mentioning. Even more when I think about bigger and bigger organizations moving to next-gen, and facing large amounts of projects and admins.

Like # people like this
Addown Support April 15, 2020

Hi @Sarwar Faruque,

Thank you so much for mentioning our app. Seeing it shared by active members of the community is just amazing. We are so happy that you find it helpful, and really appreciate you sharing it and helping others.

Hi @Nikki Kim,

We totally agree that next-gen projects are great!

This is exactly why we created Classic Settings. It lets you configure the project lead and default assignee for next-gen projects the same way we are all used to from classic projects. Your specific use case is totally covered, and everything works for Jira Service Desk too.

The app is free and here to serve the community, so please feel free to give it a try and let us know what you think. We love reviews and our service-desk is always open.

Regarding workflows,
The app currently does not offer a solution for that, but other features are going to be covered soon, and we are open for feature requests and ideas...

Like # people like this
1 vote
Kevin H August 26, 2019

I found another way to do this.

Go to Project Settings --> Request Types
Choose the Request Type
Click Edit workflow
Click the Create bubble
On the right side, click the + button under Rules
Click "Assign a request to someone", click Select
Type in their name and click Add

On projects settings for next gen projects I do not see a Request Types.   Here is what new gen projects have for project settings: nextgen-settings.png

Kevin H October 31, 2019

Sorry, the solution I posted above was for next gen Service Desk projects only. Did you create a Service Desk project?

If it is a Service Desk Project, then you should see Request Types on the left side under the Project settings heading. 

Like # people like this

Yeah I realized that after I posted my reply but could not find where to delete it.  I do have both Jira software and service desk but was only interested in next gen software projects auto assignee not service desk. 

Thanks,

Robert

1 vote
Kevin H August 26, 2019

This worked for me for a Next Gen Service Desk.

1. Go to Project Settings
  2. Automation
  3. Click Add rule
  4. Click Continue
  5. Click "Add Trigger..." under "When this happens"
  6. Select Issue Created
  7. Click the blue Add button
  8. Click "+Add action", under "Then do this..."
  9. Select Edit issue
  10. Make sure "Assignee" is selected, and then choose the person under the Value field
  11. Click the blue Add button
  12. Click Save
Dishal Singh October 11, 2019

Thanks, This has worked for me too..

Jean Canazzi October 11, 2019

Are you using the paying plugin "Automation"? Apparently it's not in default Jira projects.

Kevin H October 12, 2019

No I'm not. But the above steps I used are for a Service Desk (next-gen) project.

The steps I used below are a better way I believe.

Like # people like this
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

Oh, this works for me. Thanks @Kevin H 

1 vote
greg May 21, 2019

There is another way to obtain the PID for the projects

You can use the REST API to list the projects 

The response will have the pid

Sample request

curl -X GET \
'https://yourUrl.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/project?expand=description' \
-H 'Accept: application/json' \
-H 'Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

Sample response

[
{
"expand": "description,lead,issueTypes,url,projectKeys,permissions",
"self": "https://yourUrl.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/project/14811",
"id": "14811",
"key": "SS2",
"description": "Your Description",
"name": "XXXX Sandbox",
"avatarUrls": {
"48x48": "https://yourUrl.atlassian.net/secure/projectavatar?avatarId=11403",
"24x24": "https://yourUrl.atlassian.net/secure/projectavatar?size=small&s=small&avatarId=11403",
"16x16": "https://yourUrl.atlassian.net/secure/projectavatar?size=xsmall&s=xsmall&avatarId=11403",
"32x32": "https://yourUrl.atlassian.net/secure/projectavatar?size=medium&s=medium&avatarId=11403"
},
"projectCategory": {
"self": "https://yourUrl.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/projectCategory/10201",
"id": "10201",
"name": "TEST PROJECTS",
"description": "Jira test projects for testing purposes"
},
"projectTypeKey": "software",
"simplified": false,
"style": "classic",
"isPrivate": false,
"properties": {}
},
{...}
]
0 votes
George Manning August 18, 2021

As of 8/18/2021 here's how I was able to add a default assignee:

Project Settings > Details: Project Lead - set someone; Default Assignee: Project Lead

Suggest an answer