How to see activity on watched issues?

Lucid Software October 23, 2014

JIRA spams me with dozens of email every day.

I say that facetiously, since it actually is helpful to know what's going on with the issues I'm watching.

But why email? I have to filter through my inbox, open up each email individually to see the two line description of what changed....dozens of time a day.

Is there anyway I can see the recent activity for the issues that I'm watching within Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2014

JIRA "spam" or email overload is a common issue, please be very much reassured that you are not alone and there are loads of other people feeling the same.  One thing I always say to new JIRA admins is "always have a look at your notifications, people will find them far too noisy and they'll learn to filter or ignore them"  

Oh, who am I kidding? It's not just "new" admins, it's all of us.  Whilst a tattoo might be a step too far, I really do have "Consider your notifications" written on the wall in my home-office room.

Anyway, I'd start with a dashboard.  A simple "filter results" gadget can keep you up to date.  The trikc there is more on getting the filter right though.  I've actually got two (per JIRA system I'm watching) at the moment.  The first says "watcher = currentuser() and resolution = unresolved order by updated" and the second uses the JIRA Toolkit's "participant" field instead of "watcher".  I set the results to the max on both and then visit the dashboard any time I want to know if there are useful updates.  It is a bit easier than parsing a list of emails.

Suggest an answer