How to save a search filter for a Jira Insight search?

Helen October 3, 2019

In Jira Insight, I want to create a search, then save it for later use. According to the Insight documentation, this can be done through object search:

"To start a search, use the top drop-down menu to select Insight > Search for objects. You can search in either IQL or Free Text.

After you have created your search in IQL or Free Text, you can save it to use later or to be shared within your team.

The saved searches appear within the QUICK SEARCH bar at left."

The problem is, these option menu/buttons/bar are no where to find, even my roles include Jira admin/Insight admin/Insight developer. There seems no way to save a search.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

Insight is a little tricky in that their "search" is different from their filters.

From your insight menu, if you click on "Search For Objects" you will be given a page were you can save searches. (there is a save as button to the right of the search bar) The problem is that this page is pretty useless.

You are probably in the "Manage Schema" pages. Those pages have a "filter" bar that you can use to generate a list of object, but that filter is dependent on where you are in the schema, and is not something you can save.

Look at your URL. if it ends in "ObjectSchema.jspa" you are in schemas,

If it ends in "search" you are in object search.

Hope this helps.

Helen February 20, 2024

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry not replied earlier. Haven't been using Insight for a long while. 

I still have problem saving my search and share it with more people. I ended creating a "Knowledge Item" object, saving my AQL for the search in the object to guide interested users to conduct the same search in their search screen, and link this knowledge item object to other objects people may raise the relevant question.

Quite a work around, but I can do once and let it be for future use or update.

Suggest an answer