How to ristrict users?

Chakravarthy_R September 9, 2019

How to restrict users to modify the fixed timeline set by the admin?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

Hello @Chakravarthy_R 

Can you please be more specific? 

What timeline ? Can you provide some screenshots?

Chakravarthy_R September 9, 2019

My role is Admin, remaining users are members, I'll create a project and I'll assign them for particular tasks and fix some time lines of the tasks. That fixed timelines (task start date and task Due date) should not be editable by the members. How can I restrict them?

elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

From your project permission scheme, edit the issue permissions and give access to members group only for the actions you want. 

Screenshot_20190910_074012.jpg

Chakravarthy_R September 11, 2019

can you please give the path to disable the edit option to the members

elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

@Chakravarthy_R 

You can follow these steps:

1. Go to your project Board

2. Click on Project Settings

3. Look for Permissions and click on it

4. From Actions (upper right corner) click and edit permissions. 

5. Add or remove the group for permissions you want to have/or not access. 

I followed like this

step 1: tried to edit the application access.

step 1.png

Step 2: In application access we have any log in user/ jira software

Which one need to select?

Is this correct way?

step 2.png

elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

I suggest you to create Groups. If you don't work with groups, is harder to revoke or give access for specific user. This is my way of work and I find it very easy to use.

So, If you have any logged in user, but you don't have groups, it means any logged in user has access to that specific permission.

If you want only the admin to configure or have access for most of the permissions, remove "Any Logged in user" from where you don't want to have access.

Print screen step 1: Edit, and remove "any logged in user". Be aware that if you restrict the user to edit their own issues, you might have some more work to do.  

Read very carefully the permissions description before you give/revoke access. 

I think the "Schedule issue" is the permission you want to edit, because you give the user the permissions to edit or view the due date.

If something is not clear, let me know. 

P.S: working with groups is very helpful here's why: 

You have multiple projects with different users/clients. 

You want to restrict the access to the projects because some of them might be private or you don't want them to see other boards/projects/ etc.

Project 1 ( Group PR1, External clients PR1 ( of course admin group) ) 

Project 2  - same as PR 1

Project 3 - Same as PR 1 

Copy default permissions scheme.

Rename it after your project. 

Edit the permissions: 

- Remove from permissions :  "Any Logged In user "

- Add the groups to Browse project permission

- Add the groups to the rest of the permissions as you/admin want. 

p.s: to make it easier for me I edited the default permission scheme and removed any logged in user from it, added the administrators group for each permission, so when I create a new project the only thing left is to Copy the scheme-> rename it after project associate it with the project-> Add the groups to desired permissions.

Like Chakravarthy_R likes this

Thank you..... Its very useful for me

elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2019

You're welcome. If I can help you with anything else, let me know. 

Thanks

elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2019

Hello @Chakravarthy_R 

Was my answer helpful ? If so, please vote it as Accepted. Thank you 

Suggest an answer