How to restrict which users can view a task board?

Fiona May 22, 2014

Hello. My team and I use our task boards extensively, and are all able to add/edit/move tasks. However, the boss and I would like to have a task board just viewable and editable by us. How do I restrict which users can view our task board?

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Subhendu Chattopadhyay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2014

Yes you can do this.

Create a group including the you and your boss. Then create the board. Go to Board -> configure.

Under General , click the edit filter share and change the share access to the group only. Alternately, you can create the filter first and share it the group only and then create the board on the filter. Now only you and your boss can see the secrate board.

But, this will only restrict the access to the board. Some one can still open and view the issues individually. To restrict the complete access create a separate project and your group will have access to this project. This along with earlier solution will allow you to restrict someone to see your tasks.

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2021

This still works perfectly in 2021 with a current version of Jira Server.  We use Issue Security to restrict issues in a project to single clients, and restricting the board filters to the client groups definitely did hide the boards from all but the desired client.

0 votes
Ricardo Araya June 3, 2014

Yes, it worked!
The only problem I had was that if I want to restrict by any created custom group, I have to be in that group.
Works Ok now.

0 votes
Subhendu Chattopadhyay
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2014

I think this is due to permission scheme. Please check the permission scheme that you have access to. Give the same permission scheme for this group.

0 votes
Ricardo Araya May 23, 2014

Ok, I tried that before, but when I try to share to a particular group, my customs groups doesn t load in the list of groups, it only apperas (Administrators, balsamiq-mockups-editors, developers, users). We have more than 20 customs groups created though...
(Im using OnDemand)

0 votes
Ricardo Araya May 22, 2014

Yeah, we got the same problem here, I have two boards for the same proyects, cause those proyects has two components, we want each component having it s own board, but if I want to resctrict the view by groups it only load the "System Groups" not the custom groups that we ve made. Other solution is to create a ROLE for each component and then we can restrict the view.
We want to restrict views by custom groups, not by proyect roles.

Suggest an answer