How to restrict Jira ticket description field edit permission

Li Huang May 31, 2016

Hi,

I want only a group of people have permission to edit JIRA Feature ticket description. Is there a way to set such permission?

1 answer

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

Do not show Description on the create screen. Put it on Edit screen or any other transition that will be only visible by specific group or people. So for example .. You can create a transition called "Update Description" add only this field and set up Condition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

When Mirek says "put it on edit screen", he means "do not put it on the edit screen, only put it on transition screens".

Li Huang May 31, 2016

Thanks. I don't want to restrict workflow transition but only restrict ticket description field edit to a group of people.The user story is "as a requirement manager, I want feature/story ticket description be editable to requirement managers when ticket is in "open" and "in analysis" status, so that feature/story ticket edit permission is controlled. Is there a way to do this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

Yes.  You do what Mirek says, and move the ability to change the description down into the workflow where you can use conditions to say "only requirement managers can edit this screen".

Li Huang June 1, 2016

Thanks. Could you share a step-by-step guide?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

Go to admin and find the screens section, and add a new screen, putting the description field on it.

Go to the project and find the workflows that are in use.  Edit each one of these.

For each status where you want to allow "edit",

• Create a new transition that goes back to the same status. 
  • The transition should use your new screen
  • The transition needs a condition like "only requirement managers"

Go to the project and find the "issue type screen scheme" - drill down into that until you find the screen used for "edit".  Remove the description field from it.  (You may need to create a new screen for this if the edit screen is shared with create and/or view)

Li Huang August 30, 2016

Thanks. Still not sure how to implement it. By the way, is it possible to set a ticket's all fields edit permission to a group of users?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2016

Where are you stuck on implementation?

Yes, you can limit edit to a group - check the permission scheme.

Li Huang August 30, 2016

Not clear about the implementation. It seems complex. Does permission scheme support edit control on a couple of ticket types in a JIRA project? I don't want all ticket types have this edit control.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2016

Not off-the-shelf, that's why Mirek gave the answer he did.

There is another trick, which is painful to set up and maintain - you can set workflow properties to control the groups which can or cannot edit an issue when it is in a certain state in the workflow. As issue types can be set to use different workflows, you'd need one workflow for each different edit scheme.

Like Sławomir Tuzimek likes this
Li Huang August 31, 2016

Thanks. The trick really helps.

Johan February 4, 2019

Hi guys, I am struggling to understand the logic here. I am also trying to do something similar, but I don't want to restrict the technicians from viewing the original request. Please see my thread here - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Editing-of-a-created-ticket/qaq-p/998487#U998496

Suggest an answer