How to rename the summary field in a job

Stephen Roberts July 29, 2021

I would like to rename the field circled in the screen-shot below i.e. the issue summary field.

This field is created from the e-mail subject when a job is e-mailed to the Jira service desk.

Often it is named something generic e.g. "Please fix" etc. and I would like to edit it to have more meaning in my issue queue.

re.PNG

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

Hi @Stephen Roberts welcome to the community. You won't be able to rename the system field or did you mean you want to change the text added by the customers in Summary field?

Stephen Roberts July 29, 2021

Hi Kishan,

I would like to change the text in that field.

So in the example in the screenshot, I would like to change "PBRC - Write off DOF" etc to something else, perhaps with added detail.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

Thanks Stephen for confirming. If you have Edit issues permission in the project and if the field is added in edit issue screen, you should be able to change it as per your liking. You can check permissions in Project Settings -> Permissions.

Stephen Roberts August 1, 2021

Thanks for all your help Kishan,

I've had a closer look at my Jira environment, and can add these details 

- Using "Jira Service Management" (not a project environment)

- Using "Deviniti queues" (a 3rd party add on?)

- I just want to edit the text underlined in my screenshot, to add more detail when it is lacking detail.  The source of the text is the subject in the E-mail that our service desk receives  i.e. typed by the person who e-mails an issue to to our service desk

dev.PNG

When I click

Project  > Settings

pd.PNG

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2021

Thank you @Stephen Roberts , when you open any issue, and click on its summary are you able to edit it ? like below-

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 8.32.20 AM.png

If you are unable to edit the summary of those issues, you will need your Jira Admin's help to help you further with this.

Stephen Roberts August 2, 2021

Yes I can!  

That was the trick - to simply click the field and it magically turns on edit mode, allowing me to type anything I want.

I must say, Atlassian could have designed this screen better to make it more obvious that the field is editable e.g. put a tiny edit button to the right of the text box.

Thanks Kishan for all your help. 

Like Kishan Sharma likes this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

Thats true Stephen. You will get used to the Atlassian UI eventually :-)

Suggest an answer