How to remove/hide an Issue Types from backlog?

Hi,

We created new issue types that are at the same "level" as Epics. Usually in the Backlog of JIRA Agile, I can only see the Task "level". Unfortunately, our new issue types appear in the backlog even though they are not at the task "level".

Is there a setting to choose which issue types to make visible in JIRA 6?

Thank you

2 answers

I assume I am missing something but why don't you just use the filter to not include that issue type on your agile board?

Hi, maybe I wasn't clear in my question but what I mean is this: In the Backlog view of Agile, only Tasks and other similar issues types appear. No Epic or Sub-Task appear even though they are not filtered out. I would like to include my new Issue Types to the list of Issue Types that don't appear in the Backlog view.

0 votes

The backlog doesn't include Epics because you don't plan at that level.

Epics are containers for issues that you are actually going to work on, they don't need planning because they are too large for the sprint, and you should generally have so few of them that you know what order of important they (and hence their stories) take.

The same phrase applies to sub-tasks as well, but for a different reason: You don't need them in the backlog because they don't need to be planned, they live under the task level issues which you do plan.

The backlog will always contain all (open) issues at task/story/issue level, unless you filter them out. But it will never pull in Epics or Sub-tasks, because you don't plan them.

Hi Nic, I understand the reason behind the absence of Epics and Sub-Tasks. The type of issues we created are like Epics, they are containers of a lot of issues. For that reason, we want them out of the Backlog view because they are way too big. We also want to make things as easy as possible for the users. That is why we do not want to have to filter them out when creating the board filter. Is there a way of adding the property that makes Epics invisible to in the Backlog view to those containers that we created? Thanks!

Ah, I see, sorry, misunderstood the question. No, I don't know that there is a way to do that. There's nothing in the UI for Jira Software to say "hey, treat this issue type as an Epic"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,877 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot