How to remove an IssueType from the estimatable issues?

Nik Jordanov April 6, 2023

Project type: Company-managed

Issue types: Epic, Story, Chore, Bug

Context:

• Currently, in the "Backlog" of my board, I see everything apart from Epic
  • Issues of type "Bug" don't have a visual icon for estimate or lack of estimate "-" (the one that's summed up on top of Sprints / Backlog)
  • Issues of type "Story" & "Chore" however, do.

Problem:

• I want to change "Chore" so that any issue with that type behaves like "Bug", i.e. doesn't show it's waiting for an estimate. Where do I do it?
    • I've removed the "Story points" field from the "Chore" screen on which the estimation for the board relies but to no avail.

Screenshot:

Story-Bug-Chore.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2023

Hi @Nik Jordanov,

I suspect that the estimation statistic of your board is set to story points. Most likely, the story points field is available on your Chore issue type.

If this is a company managed project, you may want to check the context of the Story Points custom field and - if it is available for Chores, remove it from the scope.

To do so, navigate to Jira Settings > Issues > Custom fields and look for the Story Points field:

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 17.36.17.png

Click on the link that says 1 context (that may be different in your Jira instance) and check if you can see other issue types than story listed there:

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 17.37.42.png

If Chore is there, click Create, edit or delete contexts and in the next screen click Edit Configuration and make sure to unselect Chore from the list of issue types using the field. Save your changes and head back to your board backlog view.

Hope this helps!

Nik Jordanov April 6, 2023

I had removed the field from the Screen but not from the Context - your suggestion worked! Thanks very much!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events