How to remove Inactive and never logged In users in JIRA server 7.12

Kotresha B November 10, 2020

How to remove Inactive and never logged In users in JIRA server 7.12

2 answers

1 vote
Kotresha B November 13, 2020

@tokcum 

Yes because few of the users are inactive but few issues are assigned those inactive users.

So while taking back up if I ignore inactive users then I may loose the issues/data related to them?

So is there anyway to identify if any inactive user linked to any issues ?

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2020

I found this thread very helpful:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Finding-Issues-Owned-by-Inactive-Users-with-JQL/qaq-p/249236

It discusses different approaches with and without the need for additional add-ons.

I’m used to Scriptrunner because I have it in all of my customers’ instances.

As I said before, from my experience the user directory synchronization does not delete users in case they are gone in the external directory as long as they are still related to issues in Jira.

I can verify this next week when I‘m back in the office.

Enjoy your weekend.

Kotresha B March 11, 2021

@tokcum Is there any feature or tools in JIRA to get statistics and reports of administrative activities like users activities, what are all products enabled, add on's etc.

I am an JIRA admin , I want this feature or tool to record the data and present to managment.

0 votes
tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2020

Dear Kotresha,

just switch to Administration > User Management. Select the user you like to delete. There is a menu hidden behind the "...". There is the command "delete user".

I hope this is of some help to you.

Kind regards,

Tobias

No such option! @tokcum 

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2020

So I assume your Jira users are synchronized from an external directory, aren't they?

In this case you can only deactivate them, as documented here.

Are you looking for an option to delete users stemming from an external directory?

Yes it seems and i can see Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)

when I try to remove user from any groups

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2020

Have the user accounts been deleted already from the Active Directory? If they do still exist in AD they might show up in Jira again even if you manage to delete them on Jira's side.

not deleted or not removed at AD side, so to remove users in JIRA do we remove in AD ?

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2020

Yes, I would expect that as soon as the user accounts do not longer exist in AD they are also deleted in Jira. This is only true if the user account is not related to any issues within Jira. If you do not like to delete user accounts in AD, you can also move them out of scope of the user directory synchronization either by moving them to a different OU or by an LDAP filter expression evaluating a defined criteria.

Kind regards,

Tobias

Kotresha B November 12, 2020

Yes because few of the users are inactive but few issues are assigned those inactive users.

So while taking back up if I ignore inactive users then I may loose the issues/data related to them?

So is there anyway to identify if any inactive user linked to any issues ?

Suggest an answer