How to present percentage (one number) of multiple issue statuses in the specific Epic?

Štefan Cvejn September 21, 2021

Hi all, 

I have certain statuses that say that something is done in the ticket even if the ticket is not Resolved yet.

Is there a way how to display one percentage number of e.g. In Review, For Approval, Resolved statuses combined?

Say, I have 100 tickets total, 10 are In Review, 10 in For Approval and 10 are Resolved and I would like to display that 30% is "done"

Thanks a million in advance!!!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2021

Hi @Štefan Cvejn -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can do that with a custom field in the epic and automation for Jira rules.  You could count the items in the status values and compute your own percentage for display.

For example:

• trigger: status changes for an issue (transition)
  • condition: issue has an epic link value
  • action: lookup issues with JQL to find all issues with the same epic link as the trigger issue
  • action: create a variable (e.g. named varTotalCount) to save the count  {{lookupIssues.size|0}}
  • action: lookup issues with JQL to find all issues with the same epic link as the trigger issue AND the status matches what you mean by "done"
  • action: create a variable (e.g. named varDoneCount) to save the count  {{lookupIssues.size|0}}
  • branch: on the epic parent
    • action: edit your custom field using math functions to compute the percentage from the created variables

Here are some documentation links and example rules to help you get started:

Kind regards,
Bill

Štefan Cvejn September 23, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy thanks a lot for your help! I even created some other automation for my projects!

But, I am a little bit unsure about the last step. I can create that branch on the epic parent, but then I am lost. Can you help me with that AND how to really display this percentage in Confluence or Jira dashboard?

Thank you!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2021

Hi @Štefan Cvejn 

Someone just asked me about a related post on calculating percent done, so you may also want to look there also for some context: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-get-Completed-story-points-Story-point-progress-in-a-CF/qaq-p/1763427?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mentions_reply&utm_content=topic#U1814592

For your percentage value, you could use this math expression to get the percentage:

{{#=}} {{varDoneCount.asNumber}} / {{varTotalCount.asNumber}} * 100 {{/}}

To get this on a dashboard, you would need to use one of the gadgets capable of showing custom fields.  If none meet your needs, please check the marketplace for addon apps.

For Confluence, you could try using a macro to show a JQL filter, or other macros to display the Jira issues.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Štefan Cvejn likes this
Štefan Cvejn September 24, 2021

The only, however quite important issue is, that "lookupIssue" can give me max 100 issues which lead to incorrect numbers :-(

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2021

Sorry to hear that!

A work-around would be to use multiple lookups and more JQL criteria and add up the results.  For example, count the "In Review", "For Approval", and "Resolved" separately into created variables and then sum up the results.

If that still won't work, the other approach is to add counting fields to the epic (for your status values of interest) and decrement/increment based upon child issue transitions in a rule.  Then your epic will always have the data it needs to compute the "% done".

1 vote
Barry Ozer March 11, 2022

@Bill Sheboy  Would you mind posting a screenshot of the automation recipe you put together for easier replication. It would help me personally and I am sure others as well.

Thank you in advance.

Barry

Barry Ozer March 11, 2022

Figured this out. Thank you.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Barry Ozer March 14, 2022

I've included my expanded version via screenshots of @Bill Sheboy's original recipe as a visual reference.

I got the recipe to work and couldn't be happier with it. Hope this helps everyone who is looking to create robust progress reports that can display an Epic's current progress per Status Category's percentage point and total count using Jira Filters & Dashboards. Thanks for the guidance @Bill Sheboy

Let me know if y'all have any questions.

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.16.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.01.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.02.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.02.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.02.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.02.50 AM.png

Garret Duffy June 20, 2023

@Barry Ozer Thanks so much for posting these screen shots. 
Did you create a second text field for your percentage values?  E.g. Progress % (numeric) and Progress % (text)?  Because I can't replicate the final step in your process...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events