How to populate different field values in different projects?

Bala Krishna June 26, 2012

we have one scenario in our project. We have one field called Internal product. Field values of this field get vary from project to project. we dont want to add all values in the field scheme and do customize for projects.

Is there a way to handle this request?

Thanks for your help

-Bala

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2012

I don't think I've understood the question.

You seem to be saying that for a project, you want a different set of options for a custom field. But you don't want to use field contexts to do it.

That does not make sense to me because field contexts ARE the way to do that, and I can't imagine how else you might want to do it?

Could you explain further? Why don't you want to use the field context stuff that gives you different option lists?

Sure Nic, we have three diff projects where internally they are having diff diff internal products

Project A having ABC,XYZ as internal products

Project B having TXC,UEW as internal products

Project C having PQC,LWE as internal products

Using Custom field i am able to create Internal Product list field and able to add in screens also. But we dont want to display all internal products list i.e. ABC,XYZ,TXC,UEW,PQC,LWE in individuals since they are related to diff projects

so can you help me understand how to configure this list for A,B,C Projects.

-Bala

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2012

Use field contexts.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field - you probably should read all of that, but the title "adding a new context" is the procedure you need.

Yeah my bad i missed that one. Thanks Nic i am able to add. But i got struck at one more level.

Now this is the requirement. we have to go some more deeper.

We need diff values to show (for the field called :Billing Project) in same project for diff issue types.

i added two issue types

1.Internal Defect

2.External Defect

I added both issue types in one project. we have to show case diff values (for Billing Project) in these issue types.

Using field contexts i am able to add diff values for diff project (for same custom field). but in the same project for diff Issue types i dont see i can add new context.

could you guide me here pl.

Thanks in Advance

-Bala

Bala Krishna June 27, 2012

Nic, any idea how to get diff values for a same custom field in two diff issue types under same project. i tried with field context its allowing for only one project any point of time. how to solve this issue??

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2012

That is a known issue. A nasty workaround is to create another custom field with the same name. It is admin pain though!

Bala Krishna June 27, 2012

Thanks Jobin

Emanuel Steglich August 7, 2018

Hello @Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist],

is there any new clean workaround or a solution for this problem?

We need a better way to get diff values for diff issuetypes for one project.

Thanks in Advance.

Emanuel

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2018

@Emanuel SteglichNone that I am aware of. You can surely develop a custom add-on but that is more work as well.

Suggest an answer