How to migrate attachment from one JIRA server to another

Neeta Dubey March 20, 2019

We are migrating JIRA instance from one server to another. I would be using xml backup to restore data in new machine.This allows me to migrate the data(including ticket) but not attachment. How should I migrate the attachment.

1 answer

0 votes
Amith Mathur {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2019

Hi @Neeta Dubey,

Attachments reside in the <JIRA_Home_Dir>/data folder. Therefore, you will need to manually rsync or copy the data folder to the new server, JIRA Home Directory. 

Thanks,
Amith Mathur 

Neeta Dubey March 20, 2019

Thanks Amith,

I followed below steps.

Restore xml back to the new machine. 

copied attachment folder from source machine- Path: C:\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA-Ontrak2\data\attachments

Pasted to Destination machine- Path - C:\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA516\data\attachments

restarted JIRA on Destination machine.

Tested it by opening the ticket# however it doesn't show attachment on the Destination machine. URL of test machine is different from prod machine however if i open the ticket they are same on both test and prod machine.

Please tell me i did something incorrect.

Neeta Dubey March 22, 2019

Could some one please suggest me on this issue. 

Amith Mathur {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2019

Hi @Neeta Dubey , 

Did you changed the Base url, if it is different and pointing to the correct IP Address? Did you ran the indexing once? 

What is the message you are seeing when you try to open it ?

Thanks,
Amith Mathur 

Divya TV November 18, 2021

I have the same problem. Copied attachment files over to new server. All issues data has been migrated. But attachments dont show in jira ui. They are copied correctly into data/attachments/<iproject>/<issue key>/.  Can you please let me know if you figured it out?

Like Miba likes this
Lacey McDonnell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2023

For anyone experiencing issues with this - please try full reindexing as Amith said above.

Suggest an answer