Using a hosted next-gen Jira on atlassian.com I clicked the "Complete sprint" button and then started a new sprint. I was surprised to see all the stories that we had completed in the previous sprint appear in the new sprint in the "Done" column. I checked the burnup report for the previous sprint and it shows that we only completed two stories.
How do I move all these completed stories to the previous (now closed) sprint so that they show up correctly on the burnup report?
This is the first time we've had this problem. We're currently on sprint 5. The first three sprints worked fine.
You can add any issue to closed sprints, one method described here, however once a sprint is closed, even if you add an issue to the closed sprint, none of the sprint reports will be updated as if it were completed during that sprint to preserve the committed items and integrity of adhering to the defined plan. The reports are designed to reflect the data in the current state, at the time the sprint was worked on and then closed. In Jira, sprints are designed to show actual work done in relation to the planned and accepted elements when the sprint was started, and any retroactive action has an intended tracking mechanism to be reported as scope creep and not completed as part of that sprint as the item was not committed to the initial scope.
To alter the reporting you need to re-open the sprint and make any needed scope changes while the sprint is active, adding the issues to the sprint move the issues to complete and then complete the sprint a second time, but doing this will cause scope creep on the burn up report.
We have the following Blog post that goes into more detail on dealing with scope creep effectively, but overall any missed issues that were intended to be completed in a sprint should not be reflected in the actual report if discovered post sprint completion so the data reflects these missed items for better future planning:
How do I reopen a sprint?
This has absolutely nothing to do with scope creep and is 100% a bug in Jira. The work that was supposed to be completed in the sprint was completed in the sprint. Jira just screwed up when the "Complete sprint" button was clicked.
There were 47 issues in the sprint and 46 were completed (they were in the "Done" column on the board) but when the "Complete sprint" button was clicked Jira moved 45 of them to the next sprint (where they appeared on the next sprint board as "Done") and left only 2 issues in completed status on the burnup report.
Re-opening a sprint can be done from the Reports i.e. Burndown Report or Sprint Report, by selecting the desired sprint you wish to re-open and using the three dot (meatball) menu to the far right of the report page here:
Additional detail scan be seen in the documentation here:
Next from the behavior you noted specifically the comment:
when the "Complete sprint" button was clicked Jira moved 45 of them to the next sprint (where they appeared on the next sprint board as "Done")
It sounds like the issue are missing a resolution, as without a resolution set (field empty and showing as Unresolved), Jira considers the issue in an active and open state. Even though the issues were in the right most column a resolution. Check if the issues have a resolution set and if not check out the following KB on steps to correct this:
That page says "This article only applies to Atlassian's server products. Learn more about the differences between cloud and server."
Is it relevant to "next-gen"? I don't even see any field called "Resolution". I did create a field a couple months ago called "Resolution Summary" where we expect people to type in brief statement so that we can generate a concise report showing a list of jobs and what was done for each.
Upon further investigation, it turns out our sprints have changed retroactively. I have screenshots of past sprints showing the green line for "Completed work" climbing upwards, but looking at the burnup reports today I see that the green line for those past sprints are all flat at zero.
As far as I'm concerned "next-gen" is a train wreck. This is an alpha-quality piece of software that Atlassian has foisted on paying customers without warning us. It looks like Jira has completely lost all of our work completion records as far as the burnup report is concerned.
I've spot checked lots of issues and many are in a status of "Done" with a green checkmark and the word "Done" next to the status of "Done", but the burnup report for every single one of our sprints shows zero items completed (except for two which were cancelled; those show as completed on the burnup report)
What Paul Carver described just happened to me. I marked a sprint completed and created the next sprint. All of the DONE items remained in the Done column, but were moved to the next sprint. So now I have nothing in Sprint 1 and a bunch of DONE items in Sprint 2. This makes no sense and I can't figure out how to fix it.
Same happened here, I marked ''complete sprint'' and selected add incomplete issues to new sprint and everything went wrong. I have the actual issues and some older tasks and issues from previous sprints also marked as done and discarded in the current sprint
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events