Is there a way to add an issue to a closed sprint in JIRA?

Mamta Pandya March 16, 2016

I'm trying to add issues to a closed Sprint in JIRA.  I tried edit screen -> Sprint ID but that isn't working.

4 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
Grzegorz Reglinski March 18, 2016

Yes, you can add issue to any sprint you want. To do that you need to know ID of Sprint.

To get sprint Id just open any report and copy id from url adress

To add issue to sprint:

1. open search
  2. choose advanced search
  3. search for your issue: issuekey = XYZ
  4. enter
  5. Tools (right corner of screen)
  6. Bulk
  7. Edit
  8. insert id of sprint into "sprint field"
  9. confirm

Lauren Pennisi January 6, 2017

This solution worked! You must use the bulk command even if you have one ticket to move into a closed sprint. Thanks so much!

Like # people like this
Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2017

Great workaround!! thanks a lot!

Like Grzegorz Reglinski likes this
Craig Cooper July 22, 2019

For some reason a "done" task from the last sprint was put into the next sprint when we closed/started old/new sprint. This workaround helped put this task that was done back into the previous sprint where it was actually completed. Thanks for sharing!

Like # people like this
Brad Johnson August 26, 2019

It does seem that, while this moves the issue to the correct sprint, it DOES NOT seem to update velocity graphs or burndown charts. It seems like the effort just goes un-reported.

I suppose it's possible this will fix itself after some time.  But, currently, these issues don't seem to be reported.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2016

Can i ask you why you are trying to add issues to a closed sprint. If a sprint is closed, then its contents should stay static (as per agile). If you are able to add/remove stuff from a closed sprint then you are tampering with a lot of reports such as the velocity and sprint report.

Mamta Pandya March 16, 2016

Someone closed the Sprint prematurely. Defects that were supposed to be assigned to the Sprint were not updated, and we're trying to clean it up.

Like Grzegorz Reglinski likes this
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2016

The later version of JIRA Software (i think it is 7.1) allows you to re-open a closed sprint (which was of course closed by accident).

So, upgradingto JIRA 7.1 is one of the options. In the short term, my recommendation would be to create another sprint and add all isues from accidentally closed sprint into the new sprint.

Rahul

Mamta Pandya April 1, 2016

The option to reopen a closed sprint is not available for our instance, I have requested an upgrade of JIRA Software version, though.

For now, we implemented this solution - We tagged the defects with comments and labels identifying the Sprint they are for, and explained that they could not be added to the Sprint since it was closed prematurely in error.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2021

Hi everyone,

At the time this question was originally posted, it was not possible within Jira Software to re-open a closed sprint.  However that has all changed a few years ago.   For situations like this, you can follow the steps in Reopen a sprint.  From there you can then make adjustments to the sprint if you like.

This is possible to do in all Jira Software Cloud sites.  You can also see the previous request for this feature over in JSWSERVER-7804.  That ticket indicates this feature was included starting with Jira Software 7.1.0.   All subsequent versions of Jira Software Server/Data Center contain this ability.

I hope this helps.

Andy

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

I don't think you can do that - once a sprint is done, it's done.  There should not be any reason to want to add more to it, other than faking your velocity.  If something is left out of the sprint, then move it into the next one, comment that it's a mistake and move on.

Jim Collins May 7, 2019

No one is faking anything if the task was actually completed during that sprint period. Obviously it should be added to that sprint retroactively. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer