How to mark an EPIC as done with a message "This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status" ?

sébastien lachèvre April 11, 2014

I want to close an epic. All the related issues are closed, and the epic itself is fixed and closed. But when I go in the Agile Plan an try to mark it as done, I have the message

"This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status."

what do I miss in the process ?

Regards

4 answers

5 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2014

Hi Sebastien,

please check the properties of "closed" step in the workflow associated to your epic. if it contains the following property "jira.issue.editable"/"true", Jira Agile can't mark it as done.

Remove this step property, publish your workflow and it works.

Another possible workaround is :

- Reopen the Epic

- Mark it as done

- Close your Epic

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Charles Shao February 2, 2020

I need to got to the EPIC reopen it, then it works! 

4 votes
sébastien lachèvre April 11, 2014

Hi Fabio,

unfortunately the solution doesn't work, but it has allowed me to find another solution.

In fact the epic, as an issue, has been closed in the JIRA issue editor.

Then when I am in the JIRA Agile plan an error is raised when I try to mark it as done, simply because the epic is already closed !

So the solution to remove the epic from the epic list in JIRA AGILE is to resolve it without closing it in the JIRA issue editor. Then you can go in the AGILE plan and mark it as done.

It is certainly a functionnal bug to my point of view,

Sébastien.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2014

It is certainly a functionnal bug to my point of view

Cannot agree more :)

Sathisha Poojary February 18, 2019

Thanks, after spending a lot of hours trying to fix the issue, this solution worked!

0 votes
rt-jira November 15, 2018

Unfortunately, Jira does handle the state for the ticket in Jira editor and Jira Agile differently. To find out which field is configured in your system, go to the custom fields site of your installation (https://jira.telematik.ruf.ch/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa). In my installation the field is called "Epic-State", but can be different in other installations.

To automatically remove the Epic from the Backlog, you need some additional addons like JSU, which allow to change ANY field of the issue during transistion. In my example, I have added a postfunction to the workflow from "In Progress" to "Close" which is updating the "Epic-State" field to "Done".

To handle updates of already closed and therefore write protected issues, I have a special stransition in the workflow from "All" to "Closed" white the Condition that only administrators can run the transition. To simplify your life, you can create an "Edit Screen" for this transistion, that shows absolutly every possible field. In the special case of epics, it automatically updates also the "Epic-State" to "Done.

This has solved the problem for me.

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2014

This issue seems to be a duplicate of this question: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/222256/epic-status-mark-as-done-is-not-changing-status-to-closed.

The solution is at least the same ;)

Suggest an answer