How to manage a project's dependency in other projects

Yarden Cohen July 12, 2020

Hello.

I am managing a project that spans over a few teams.

My way of managing the issues of each team is similar to what was suggested in this question's answer: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-questions/How-to-manage-multiple-teams-in-one-project/qaq-p/1159807.

Only problem for me is that some issues on my project, depend on issues in other jira projects. For example, in order to finish some tasks in my project, we have to finish 2 blocking issues in a different project.

How can i manage that? the issues in other projects can't be assigned a fix version, i would love to hear your suggestions.

To clarify, the other projects can't be merged with my own project since other projects in the organization depend on them.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yarden Cohen January 21, 2021

The way iv'e decided to go: (would appreciate any feedback about it)

Creating a new issue type called "Version"

Every issue in a version is linked as a subtask of this issue, no matter what is the jira project origin of this issue.

Following versions are blocked by this version, it might be blocked by work of other teams, or the subtasks are blocked by issues of other teams (and when it makes sense those issues are also part of the version).

I made a few filters for my own use to replace fixVersion's "Releases" page and it's a lot more comfortable (even due to trivial reasons like being able to sort issues by descending due date order, which isn't possible with fixVersions).

This integrates well with "Automation For Jira" plugin for several automations i'm using, and also with "WBS-Gantt Chart" which allows me to visualize a gantt with dependencies between the versions, the most important part is dependencies of a project version with some other project's version (like an OS updates which is managed by one of our teams).

Anyway this is what worked for us,

Would love to answer questions about it.

1 vote
Damir Semiz July 13, 2020

Hi Yarden,

Do I understand you correctly that you by manage wish to have an overview of interdependent projects?

There are a couple of plugins that you can use for that.

Dependency Map for example lets you create a visual map of one or multiple projects and visualizes the dependencies between issues so that you can do the planning easier. E.g you could configure a map that merges multiple projects (in the map) where you can set columns to sprints and rows to teams. There you would see what issues what team is working on along with the dependencies. Delayed or wrongly planned issues get highlighted by color to let you know that they are at risk or going to be delayed.

I think that Advanced Roadmaps can do some of those things as well. Not totally sure about the multiple projects part though.

Hope it helps a bit :) 

Linda Redgate January 26, 2023

I am using Jira Align and need to show dependencies between features there

0 votes
purushottam kaushik July 13, 2020

Hi, I would just use 'Link' and choose right dependency from list.You can link issue from same or different JIRA projects.

Afterwards, If you use SCRUM board then you can use 'Linked Issue' in Card Layout to show which issue is blocking your progress. 

Quick filter can be set to see all your blocked tasks.  

Steve Maiorano January 21, 2021

That will bring up all internal project links to. Not good.  

Steve Maiorano January 21, 2021

Unless there is a way to filter only outside project links in an sql search? 

Linda Redgate January 26, 2023

I need to show the dependencies between Features in Jira Align (these become Epics in Jira).  I already create dependencies at story level within the feature but I need to show a dependency between Features

Suggest an answer