How to make worklog required when resolving an issue?

Dion Park December 16, 2016

I would like a pop-up with the log work when user tries to resolve an issue

2 answers

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2016

Resolving an issue means you are executing a workflow transition. In this transition, you should already get a screen with the Resolution field on it, which I would expect to be required just as well.

Check your workflow to see what screen is being used on that transition. Just add the Log Work field to that screen:

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 16.29.48.png

If you have your screen configured like this (Fix Version/s and Assignee are just 2 other fields on the screenshot; not necessary with regards to your question, but I'm sure you get the point), add a Fields Required validator to the transition for the Time spent field.

This results in the following behaviour:

• You click the Resolve issue button / move your issue to the resolved column on a board
  • The Resolve issue screen associated with the transition appears
  • In order to continue, you will have to enter time spent

Before you implement this solution, verify if you can really enforce this (i.e. check if there are no corner cases where resolving an issue does not require any time spent) and check in which other projects your workflow is being used as well. Your change will impact those projects as well.

Alex Suslin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2016

what if I made worklog and after that press resolve an issue. In that case I don't need to enter any time, but I will be forced to do that. 

The better way is to use script validator, and check if there are any worklogs on the issue.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2016

I second Alex on his point that not in all cases a work log might be required. That's what I meant when I said you should verify whether you can really enforce 'to make a worklog required when resolving an issue'. I would personally be careful too before you make logging work required. But that's an assessment you have to make for your own situation.

Scriptrunner can most definitely help you in validating whether there already are existing worklogs on your issue. But no automatic system will ever be able to validate whether your worklogs are actually complete or not. Not if there already are, but probably even when there are none. That's something that only the person doing the work knows.

So if you want to offer your users the capability and the incentive to log work during the Resolve issue transition, make sure you offer them the field. If you want to make the field required or not is a decision you would have to take for your situation. If you want to implement additional logic to validate the existence of worklogs, add a script validator. 

Alex Suslin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2016

Walter, I can't agree more... especially there are cases when you have to resolve an issue with 'duplicate' or 'won't fix' resolution.

Dion Park December 20, 2016

Is there any other way to achieve this? I don't want to pay $100.00/mo just for this functionality.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2016

Hi @Dion Park, I can understand your point. Just implementing the log work field and not making it required doesn't cost you anything.

0 votes
Alex Suslin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2016

Script Runner Plugin can help you with that. 

Suggest an answer