How to make required field for specific project in JIRA

Vinay Poosa February 15, 2021

Hi All,

Could someone please let me know how to make a required field for specific project in JIRA where the project is using a default scheme and they are the old projects so I can't change or create a new scheme for it. I just want one or two fields to be mandatory fields only for one or two specific projects. Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hi @Vinay Poosa 

You can do this in Field Configuration (which is used by Field Configuration Scheme - there it is associate with the propter Issue Type).

Just toggle the Required hyperlink over to Optional, next to the fields you want:

Field.jpg

Then associate the Field Configuration Scheme to the project in question.

HTH,
KGM

Vinay Poosa February 16, 2021

Thanks @Kristján Geir Mathiesen I'm aware of the process of making the field required. But my requirement is different. I want to make required fields for specific projects in JIRA where the projects are using JIRA default scheme and they are the old projects so I can't change or create a new scheme for it right? I just want one or two fields to be mandatory fields only for one or two specific projects. How do I get rid of JIRA default scheme association with these old projects?

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2021

Hi @Vinay Poosa

from looking at your explanation the process of designing a new scheme and assigning it to a project is clear to you - what is not clear to us, it seems, is why you claim you can't create a new scheme and assign it to your project(s) to get what you want.

We seem to have understood you don't want to change to configuration as your involved project is an "old" one - but to be honest, I do not know how this should stop you.

You indeed can refer to the correct information Kristjan gave earlier and then assigne the Field Configuration Scheme to some/all issue types of one or more projects.

Please refer to documentation for more information:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-a-field-configuration-scheme/

Regards,
Daniel

Richard Canlas November 28, 2022

@Daniel Ebers hi, your link just redirects to this same page and not to a document. 

Like John Warde likes this
tjwood January 13, 2023

@Daniel Ebers massive companies don't let employees make their own schemas. There are a handful of schemas set up at the Administrator level for the whole company. So unless you can do something solely at the project level within an existing schema, you're completely stuck. 

Like Todd Alden likes this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2023

@Richard Canlas I've updated the link. Thanks for notifying me.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2023

@tjwood I think, from past experience, it is not so much about letting employees not to do anything (as this even might block the business in some way) but to have proper processes in mind to make a thoughtful decision making.

I'd like to refer you to a more general blog post of Atlassian which helped us a lot in order to define robust processes the teams can live with - to find a balance between understanding why something should not be done and flexibility

On a per project basis it is not changeable, that is correct.

Cheers,
Daniel

tjwood February 19, 2023

I appreciate the link, but I think you overestimate the impact regular employees have on management when it comes to something of this size. What users want doesn’t matter much when weighed against what a tiny admin team can handle time-wise. I work at a company of over 100,000 people. The team that manages the Jira instance consists of 4 people.

Like Todd Alden likes this

Suggest an answer