How to make a custom field appear in the view-mode screen of an issue/bug?

I've successfully added a custom field called 'Reproducible?' for issues of type 'Bug'.

If I try to create a new issue or edit one, I'll see this new field, as I've associated it with the 'Default' and 'Resolve' screens.

However, I cannot get this field and its current value to show up anywhere in the simple view-mode browsing of an issue. How do I enable that?

3 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
3 votes

Is it available on the view screen associated with Bugs in that project?

The field will be visible on the screens only if it has some values. I would confirm 2 things:

1. Field has value on the issue you are viewing

2. You project uses 'Default Screen' for view issue operation. http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+a+Screen+with+an+Issue+Operation

That's exactly the issue I'm trying to solve - it is *not* visible on the view screen associated with Bugs in that project. If I can get it to be, than my problem is solved. It is visible on editing screens for bugs in my project.

I'm probably missing something basic, as I've been setting up JIRA for just a couple of hours now...

Here's a screen shot of screens it is configured with.

See: https://skitch.com/starbaseweb/83u2y/custom-fields-jira

Thanks Jobin. It was simply #1 that you mentioned. I thought it would display the default 'None' value if not specified, but it seems to be suppressed in view mode unless explicitly set from the default 'None' value.

I'm all set - you solved it!

Hello,

I'd like to ask the following:

In older versions of JIRA (for sure versions < 4) it was NOT possible to make a custom field appear in the view-mode screen of an issue, unless you adapted manually the velocity templates.

In recent versions of JIRA (at least version 5 that I tried) I see that this functionality is offered by default, provided of course, as you have indicated, that your custom field has some value on the issue you are viewing and that the project uses 'Default Screen' for view issue operation.

I'd like to know since when, i.e. which JIRA version exactly, is this functionality offered by default.

Can somebody help me with this? I already did a lot of Googling and also checked the release notes after version 4 but I haven't found anything so far.

Thank you,

Ioannis

Is it 3.2 ? See release notes And also depends on the type of installation u have (Standard/Professional/Enterprise)

Thanks Renjith, but I don't think so.
Improvements for fields in JIRA 3.2 are about issue operation (e.g. Edit Issue) and workflow transition screens, NOT for "View Issue" screen.
Thanks,
Ioannis

Ioannis - that doesn't make sense to me. I started working with Jira when it was on version 3.0 (actually, 2.something, but the first job was an upgrade).

I am 100% certain custom fields appeared on issues view in 3.0, as long as they had data. There was less flexibility around configuration etc, but I never had to amend a .vm to get a field to appear.

I suspect I've misunderstood what you're posting, but I am absolutely 100% sure that "custom fields appear in the view-mode screen" without amending any .vm files in all versions of Jira since 3.0

Is there a way to make a custom field visible (on a View Screen) if there's no data in it?

As Ola asked above, has anyone figured out a way to make a custom field visible (on a View Screen) if there's no data in it? This is so stupid. I created my own CC list and if there is no value, you must go to edit issue and add someone. After that, it shows up on the view issues screen AND you can edit the field (in my case, add more CC users) right on the view issue screen. Why can't I do that from the start?

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution for your problem?

Did you ever find out how to do this?

Same problem here. Even if I have a default value it doesn't appear.

This is by design - empty fields do not appear on the issue view. You need to do a full edit on the issue to add data to it. I'm not saying it's well thought out. In older versions of Jira, before quick inline edits were implemented, it was a really good way of keeping the screens ess cluttered and fussy. I still like the simplification principle, but I would prefer to see something to say "by the way, there are more fields here that have no data", so that at least the users would know they need to click edit. Ideally something to click so that you can show them in place would be better than a simple note to click edit.

Is there any way to change this ? I would really like to have the view screen showing all of the custom fields I set up.

As before - it's by design, it's not an option, and it hasn't changed.

Yeah, Nic, we got that. What everyone on this page has been asking for years is if Atlasssian would PLEASE change it.

The request has been raised several times, and shut down in much the same way - because of the potential complexity of a screen full of empty fields + the complexity of a JIRA view screen, they hide and simplify as much as possible. This year's Summit had an underlying thread of making views (across all the products) more simple and less fussy too. So I think the answer is going to be "no" for the foreseeable future.

Giving your customers what they want is another option. Are you building the views for yourself or for the customer? You have the capability to make the view screen so that the customer can tailor it to their needs . Why not allow the customer to decide what they want their view screen to look like without forcing the end user to go into a separate edit screen to enter information? This software gets used in ways you haven't even imagined . In my organization we use this system as a maintenance work order system. Having the custom fields on the view screen makes it immensely easier to use. While you are at it make the recurring task add on easier to use with a way to enter intervals other than cron expressions.

This is something you need to take up with Atlassian, not me. I'm just pointing out what I've seen from them on the subject. I personally prefer more simple screens, so I'm generally on their side, but I'd like a tweak to enable empty fields so I can get to them with in-line edit (which is another thing a number of people here have railed against but is not going away)

An optional override to display empty custom fields on the view screen would be ideal

Hi Team,

We have a field name called description which is showing in create,edit and view screen, we wants to disable the field name in create screen and enable it in view and edit screen is it possible?

Use a workflow transition to populate the field with a default value...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

26,228 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you