How to look for text that contains characters such us "("

Steven Lee December 24, 2021

I wan to to filter stories that have the word Launch, inside parenthesis like this "(Launch)" but don't want to get in the results something like this "-launch" or "/launch"

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 25, 2021

Hi @Steven Lee

As far as I know, Jira doesn't "index" certain special characters, which means that you can't search for them in JQL; see here:

Special characters aren’t stored in the index, which means you can’t search for them.

As a workaround, you may want to have a look at JXL for Jira. It's a full-fledged table/spreadsheet view for your issues that allows you to quick-filter your issue list by any field, including their summary, and because the way its search algorithm works, you can search for any character; in your specific case, you would have to search for

"(Launch)"

including the quotation marks.

This is how it looks in action:

text-search.gif

(Disclaimer: I work on JXL :))

Hope this helps,

- Hannes

Steven Lee December 25, 2021

Wonderful, thank you @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2021

Hi @Steven Lee

Welcome to the community. 

Take a look at this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/search-syntax-for-text-fields-939938747.html

Regards

Steven Lee December 25, 2021

Thank ou @Fabian Lim 

Suggest an answer