How to let user only see specific issues?

Jason Huang June 17, 2022

Hi,

We want to share files and record the communication about the files and think Jira may work for this purpose.

Is there a way to let a user who is not a project member see the specific Jira issue?

And If the user is the project member, is it possible to let the user only can see specific Jira issues?

The security level may work for this but it may need lots of security level options?

Regards,

Jason

5 answers

0 votes
DeFi Logic June 17, 2022

there is a padlock next to the publish button. that should work. I tried to upload a screenshot but got denied.

0 votes
DeFi Logic June 17, 2022

control.pngThere is a padlock next to the publish button that I assume will perform the function that you need. I unfortunately only have the free version so I couldn't test it. 

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2022

Confluence won't help you because it follows the same permissions schema - for the user to see a page, they must first have view permission to the whole Space, so you end up in the same conundrum except it's harder to manage in Confluence.

Security levels are indeed the start of what you need when it comes to restricting browse access to users in the project.

However, you might also want to consider using Custom Fields and Reporter.

In Permission Scheme, under BROWSER_PROJECTS, you can add Reporter, and/or a multiuser picker custom field e.g. "External users".

The rest under BROWSE_PROJECTS can stay as is, probably you have project roles in it which is totally fine.

The key point here being - the user is not a member of project roles, but if he is a reporter on an issue - he will see that issue (thus you would need to set him as a reporter). Likewise, if you add him to the External users field, he will then be able to see the issue.

The 'Create issue' permission itself can be open to anybody so everybody can create an issue without any express role membership - and since they will be the reporter, they will see that issue, but they won't see any others.

Other than these your only option is security levels, but mind you that would require either a lot of levels, or a lot of automations to keep the security levels consistent across the whole project.

If you have a lot of specific users that should have access to just specific issues, you will likely be better of by setting up the reporter/customfield option since you don't have to maintain 1000 different security levels.

Jason Huang June 19, 2022

Hi @Radek Dostál 

Will the user only see the issue he reported if the "BROWSER_PROJECTS" permission includes the reporter?

The conundrum I think is how can we let the specific user see the specific pages and the other specific users see the other specific pages?

Regards,

Jason

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Security levels only work if the user has at least browse access to the project. @DeFi Logic idea of using confluence may be better option

0 votes
DeFi Logic June 17, 2022

Hi Jason,

I just started, but I downloaded Confluence for this purpose. Have you tried installing and using Atlassian Confluence?

-DeFi

Jason Huang June 17, 2022

Hi @DeFi Logic,

If using Confluence, will it be very troublesome to let the user only can see the page?

Regards,
Jason

DeFi Logic June 17, 2022

That is a good question. I think that is the case. I will double check on my installation. give me 20 minutes.

DeFi Logic June 17, 2022

sorry for taking longer than I said. so I am admin and should have access rights control in Confluence. I'll check Jiru too. But it looks like that what you are asking is true. you can limit access to specific users in Confluence. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events