How to know the current ticket of a developer ?

Akash Lenin December 13, 2022

I want to know the current ticket a developer is working on. We have a lot of statuses in JIRA right, so people tend to not select the particular status while doing the development.

I want to know if we have any automation or APIs to have only one ticket in the "Dev in progress" status for one developer. They cannot have multiple tickets under this status. This will be easy for me to track the current tickets they are working on.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2022

Hey @Akash Lenin 

There is no real way to do that. You can see similar question answered here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Only-one-active-issue-per-user/qaq-p/1506258

If you don't mind me sharing my thought - trying to make JIRA allow only one issue per user in a given status is trying to solve the symptom, not the problem. I speak from experience here :)

What is the reason people don't use right statuses? Maybe there are too many, or they do not understand the process? Or maybe the team spirit is low and "no-one cares"? 

Akash Lenin June 21, 2023

Hey thanks for answering. People don't keep the tickets in the correct status and its difficult to create an automation based of the status.

Lukasz Czerwinski July 27, 2023

@Akash Lenin , I found out recently that IntelliJ IDEs (possibly other IDEs too; I'm not affiliated with IntelliJ) integrate with JIRA and other bug trackers and help change the statuses automatically.
By the way, I tried this feature in IntelliJ products and it was really cool - I was able to change the whole context with one click - open files, current branch, and I think the status in Jira can change too (see links below)
For sure it can change when uploading the change to Git.

See more at: https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/managing-tasks-and-context.html
I think someone used it here: https://www.jambit.com/en/latest-info/toilet-papers/intellij-and-jira-workflow/

Akash Lenin September 24, 2023

Thanks @Lukasz Czerwinski 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can do some automation to try to prevent people having more than one issue in a status, but its complexity will be proportional to the complexity of your workflows, and a much better option is to simply allow people to do it, report on "assignee = X and status = Y" regularly, and then get your human processes fixed and people educated as to how they should be working (and ideally, simplify your workflows to make it easier for them to get it right)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events