How to install JIRA Service Desk on top of JIRA Software?

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

Hi, 

I have JIRA Software (Server) installed and it has about 500+ projects and a lot of issues on it. 
For some of the existing projects and some new projects that we want to launch, they involve customer queries. 
So we are turning to JIRA Service Desk. 

Could anyone tell me couple of things and clarify my confusion,
1) how I install Service desk on top of my JIRA software?
2) Can both be installed over the same port? and be integrated together?

Regards,
Tayyab

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2017

Software and Service Desk are applications for JIRA, not separate entities.  They both run on top of JIRA Core.  There's no "integration" to be done, as they're all in the same system.

You've got Software installed already, so all you do is add Service Desk and give it a licence - it's under "manage applications" in your admin section.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2017

When I am installing Service Desk on pre installed JRIA Software, it asks which port to install it on. 
Should I use the same port (8080) on which JIRA software is installed? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2017

No no no.  Cancel that, you're doing totally the wrong thing.

PLEASE, read the answer I gave already.   All of it.  Properly.

Basem Abdulrahem August 10, 2017

Hello Nic, 

I upload the Jira service Desk from the Jira web interface and assigned the license.. It seems it works.

But, What Next?

I couldn't create a project with the basic service Desk or I don't know how to configure the portal?!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2017

Go to "create project" - do you get a set of project types in a "service desk" section?

No. I have only two sections Software and Business. (As before), I think Service Desk didn't add anything.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2017

Ok, it's not installed properly then.  Check what you have under "manage applications"

JiraServiceDesk.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2017

Ok, that's healthy.  Next, can you go to "application access" and make sure your account is included as someone with JSD access?

Basem Abdulrahem August 11, 2017

Sure. There is only one user, It is my account.

JSD.PNG

Basem Abdulrahem August 14, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Could you please advice?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2017

Do you have any Service Desk admin groups defined?

Basem Abdulrahem August 14, 2017

No. I just found this group "jira-servicedesk-users" and I am in it

0 votes
whtan December 19, 2019

can try to add yourself   under "jira-administrators " group name. 

Suggest an answer