How to have a template for the Description field

We have a workflow, the users want to have a standard template for the Description field as below. How can I achieve this?

h4. +Person responsible / On Call :+
{color:blue}<<Please state the person who worked on the issue or the person who was on call at the time this issue occured>>{color}

h4. +Problem Description :+
{color:blue}<<Please describe the problem >>{color}

1 answer

Get the JEditor plugin. This adds an HTML renderer and allows you to pre-populate issues with an HTML template for text fields (description, comments or custom text fields). It also adds a toolbar, so formatting is easier.

I create a template as follows to prepopulate the Description field, but the Description field is displaying this source code, not rendering. What should the template look like? h4. +Person responsible / On Call :+ {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Problem Description :+ {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Error Message :+ {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Resolution :+ h6. Root Cause: {color:blue}<>{color} h6. Steps taken to resolve: {color:blue}<>{color} h6. Links : {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Downstream Impact :+ {color:blue}<>{color}

Make sure that in your Field Configuration for this project / issue type, you selected the JEditor renderer. That will change the format of the field to HTML. The easiest way to make a template is to go backwards from that: Use the toolbars to build the template like you want, switch the field to HTML view (there's a tool for that in the toolbar) and use this HTML as your template.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,795 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot