How to grant access to selected projects only?

Lukas Wrede February 20, 2014

Hi,

we've got 10 projects. Our users are grouped into the default groups Administrator, User & Developer.

Now, a new user (freelancer) should get access to 1 of the 10 projects. He should not be able to see the other 9 projects. How can we manage that?

I've tried everything from creating new groups, roles, permissions, etc... nothing works.

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2014

You have to remove all access to a basic "no one can do stuff" level and then rebuild it.

Jira's access control is permissive - you actively choose to let people in, not stop them doing stuff.

You've probably inherited the default Jira setup - the group "jira users" can log in, which is fine, but then it's used by default to say "can use project"... You'll need to REMOVE the "everyone can use projects", then add your users back into the projects via a different rule, and leave your freelancer out of those roles.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014

The permission which controls the access to issues in a project is the "Browse project" permission. I only add this because it's not apparent.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2014

Oops, yes, I forgot that bit! Sorry!

Suggest an answer