How to get rich text in JIRA comments?

Paul L June 4, 2013

I have tried.

I clicked the cog icon >> Add On >> Manage Add ons >> Filter with renderer in System drop down>> Expand "Wiki Renderer Macros Plugin" here I observe that 7 out of 8 modules are active and last one which is inactive is "Use HTML code within a JIRA Issue. Do not enable unless you understand the XSS security implications." also it says Module cannot be modified.

Am I doing it the right way, if not please help me enable, rich text enable in comments. I have already enabled it for Description field.

Manage add on page

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

8 votes
Answer accepted
Paul L June 4, 2013

Thanks Zulfadli and Nic that solves my problem.

I simply had to :

Click cog icon >> Goto Issues >> Fields >> Field Configuration >> choose your project >> Click edit renderers given with Comments and from the drop down select "Wiki Style Renderer". This will enable rich text , you can attach thumbnails, URLs, bold, italic, colored text etc. etc.

And I was feeling sad that it not available in JIRA On Demand. Such a nice feature not for On Demand ...impossible...

Thanks

:)

Vaibhav Parikh September 21, 2017

Perfect answer... Thanks

Melanie Call October 30, 2018

very helpful!

2 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013
Paul L June 4, 2013

1. It is not free

2. It is not for ondemand users

3. I already have rich text enabled for ticeket's description field , I just want to know how can I make it enable for comments.

Sandy George August 21, 2014

Hi Paul

Could you share how you enabled rich text for description field. Have you found any solutions for rich text option for comments field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2014

It's the same as the answer Paul already gave - enable it as above.

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2013

JIRA OnDemand doesn't support HTML renderer as per the OnDemand Restricted functions. The reason is due to XSS vulnerability that could allow malicious users to gain system administrator permissions and use the OnDemand infrastructure for nefarious purposes.

You may want to use JIRA wiki style which available in JIRA ondemand by default. Otherwise, you may want to consider a move to JIRA Download version

Paul L June 4, 2013

Ohh Noo..thats bad...

Using JIRA wiki style would I be able to attach thumbnails (like this !error.png|thumbnail! ), smileys etc ?? If yes , where I can go to enable this.

if no then just let me know where I should to go to enable/disable for Description , right now I have it enable for ticket's description field

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2013

To enable the Wiki Style Render per customfield, you would need to configure the customfield. As for the default system field "Description", go to Issues > Fields > Field Configurations and you search for "Description". Click on the Renderes link to edit the renderer.

Configuring the renderes system wide can refer to this page. And more information on what Wiki Style Renderer can give you, please see Text Formatting Notation Help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2013

Wiki style is done in "field configuration" - go to the project, find the field configuration, go into it and find the field you want to use wiki markup on and look for the "renderer" option next to it.