How to get rich text in JIRA comments?

I have tried.

I clicked the cog icon >> Add On >> Manage Add ons >> Filter with renderer in System drop down>> Expand "Wiki Renderer Macros Plugin" here I observe that 7 out of 8 modules are active and last one which is inactive is "Use HTML code within a JIRA Issue. Do not enable unless you understand the XSS security implications." also it says Module cannot be modified.

Am I doing it the right way, if not please help me enable, rich text enable in comments. I have already enabled it for Description field.

Manage add on page

3 answers

1 accepted

Thanks Zulfadli and Nic that solves my problem.

I simply had to :

Click cog icon >> Goto Issues >> Fields >> Field Configuration >> choose your project >> Click edit renderers given with Comments and from the drop down select "Wiki Style Renderer". This will enable rich text , you can attach thumbnails, URLs, bold, italic, colored text etc. etc.

And I was feeling sad that it not available in JIRA On Demand. Such a nice feature not for On Demand ...impossible...

Thanks

:)

Perfect answer... Thanks

1. It is not free

2. It is not for ondemand users

3. I already have rich text enabled for ticeket's description field , I just want to know how can I make it enable for comments.

Hi Paul

Could you share how you enabled rich text for description field. Have you found any solutions for rich text option for comments field?

It's the same as the answer Paul already gave - enable it as above.

JIRA OnDemand doesn't support HTML renderer as per the OnDemand Restricted functions. The reason is due to XSS vulnerability that could allow malicious users to gain system administrator permissions and use the OnDemand infrastructure for nefarious purposes.

You may want to use JIRA wiki style which available in JIRA ondemand by default. Otherwise, you may want to consider a move to JIRA Download version

Ohh Noo..thats bad...

Using JIRA wiki style would I be able to attach thumbnails (like this !error.png|thumbnail! ), smileys etc ?? If yes , where I can go to enable this.

if no then just let me know where I should to go to enable/disable for Description , right now I have it enable for ticket's description field

To enable the Wiki Style Render per customfield, you would need to configure the customfield. As for the default system field "Description", go to Issues > Fields > Field Configurations and you search for "Description". Click on the Renderes link to edit the renderer.

Configuring the renderes system wide can refer to this page. And more information on what Wiki Style Renderer can give you, please see Text Formatting Notation Help.

Wiki style is done in "field configuration" - go to the project, find the field configuration, go into it and find the field you want to use wiki markup on and look for the "renderer" option next to it.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,296 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot