Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to get a list of all Custom fields in a project?

Edited

Hi Everyone,

i want to see which custom fileds has been used with in a project either by issue type or project wise?

We dont use rest api's and i dont have an access for database too let me know if its possible by any plugin or groovy script 

Thanks for the help

2 answers

3 votes

You can do this with Scriptrunner, but you'll have to write your own script to do it all.  You will need to replicate the process of looking through all the admin screens.

The pseudo-code would be:

• Read the context to get the list of projects the field has context for
  • Read each field configuration for whether the field is hidden, getting a list of them where it is not
  • Read every field configuration scheme to see where each field configuration is used
  • Build that into a list of fields that are not hidden by project
  • Read every screen to get a list of where fields are used
  • Read every screen scheme to get a list of where fields are presented to the users
  • Read every screen scheme to establish which fields are used for each screen scheme
  • Read every issue type screen scheme to see which screen schemes are used for each issue type
  • Read every workflow to see what screens are used in transitions
  • Finally, take all of that and combine it with reading all the project config 

I wouldn't bother with any of that.  It's quicker to take a quick run through the admin screens manually, you'll quickly get a feel for it.

Also, a far more useful question is actually "how are fields being used (if at all)", and that's far easier to answer.

Manually, you do this:

• Go over every permission scheme and make sure your account has "browse project" 
  • Go over every security scheme and make sure your account is included in every security level
  • Create a dashboard gadget that is a "filter statistics", and groups by project
  • Create a filter that just says "<custom field 1> is not empty" and save it
  • Use that filter in the filter statistics gadget
  • Go into a loop of
    • Note dashboard results
    • Edit filter for the next field on the list
    • refresh dashboard

That is also a lot easier to do in a script

Hi @sai chinamuthevi,

Please. follow these steps:

1.  Press dot (.) inside your Jira instance and write "field configuration schemes".
  2. Find your project/scheme associated.
  3. Click on the Scheme and after on the link in "Field Configuration" option. 
  4. Perfect, you've done to find your fields and custom fields.

If I helped you, please, mark this answer as accepted. 

Um, that's missing the other two things that determine if a field is "in a project"

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you