How to get a good JIRA admin - hire or contract or something else?

Melanie Albrecht May 9, 2018

Hi

I currently run a 500-user Server instance of Confluence, JIRA, JIRA Service Desk, and Bitbucket. A colleague handles the sysadmin end (upgrades etc), and I handle config and usage.

The workload is getting out-of-hand. I've been given permission to hire or contract someone to take over the sysadmin end of things, plus as much of the config wrangling as we can manage. Ideally I'd also like them to uplift our system in various ways, if possible (I have lots of ideas and no time).

This would be for 12 months, because we are hoping to migrate to a better-supported instance within my organisation in a year or so.

I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I have been given a fairly low amount to spend on this person. If I bring on a full-time contractor for that amount, they will probably not be top calibre. If that's the case, I won't be able to hand over as much of the work as I want to.

Alternatively, I could go to an Atlassian Expert, but I can only assume they'll be way more expensive than a lone contractor, so again they might not be able to take on the whole thing.

Any advice about a good way to approach this? You might be able to tell that I'm out of my depth here :-)

Thanks.

5 answers

2 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2018

Hi @Melanie Albrecht,

To take away the uncertainty that you have, I would recommend you to contact a Solutions Partner nearby, talk through your ideas and see how they can help you. As from there, you will know where you are at and are still entirely free to take the next step.

As you rightfully point out, you should expect an expert to have the expertise you need to do the uplifting in line with best practices and probably in less than 12 months. Part of that could be to help you find the right type of people / resources / training to adapt and scale your internal organisation in the meantime.

2 votes
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2018

I think another important consideration you need to take in is the response time.  You can definitely find cheaper labor in other timezones than the US but they wouldn't be able to respond to your user's requests right away unless they were working overnight.

Think about a Jira admin located in Asia if you're on the east coast of the US.  They could support you overnight and have requests completed for the morning depending on size/complexity.

If you need someone to respond immediately have a look in South America (assuming you are located in the US).  I know a few companies in the US who have successfully found Jira Admins abroad, it works.

PS: just because someone is cheap doesn't necessarily mean their skillset won't be top calibre.  There are lots of relatively "cheap" Jira Admins all over the world who would be willing to help you.

2 votes
Ajit Rajput May 9, 2018

Considering your current scale of JIRA, I assume the infra side of things are pretty much stabilized and even if you think to scale up in future, there won't be much efforts required on the system side. The sys-admin should be able to handle it without need of any extra hands.

Coming to the app side i.e. configurations - that's where a lot of engagement is required with end-users to configure their projects, add/modify workflows, customizing fields, screens, permissions etc.  So, if I would be in your position looking for an additional resource, I would prefer for JIRA resource who is specialized more on the application side of things. The contractor should be able to handle all of these configurations and customizations. Furthermore s/he should possess the consulting skillset so that user queries, trainings can be handled.

Here's what the role skillset I look into the contractor while hiring (focusing more on top 3 items below)

1. Create JIRA projects, queries, and reports; customize workflows, post functions, and validators, make changes to workflows, screens, fields, and reporting, and provide ongoing support and configuration maintenance.
    2. Serve as the JIRA SME to address user questions, and develop training, as needed.
    3. Administer JIRA’s core and software, Confluence, and formulate technical solutions using JIRA and associated JIRA plugins or Atlassian products.
    4. Maintain responsibility for administration, maintenance, upgrades, and enhancements to JIRA, Confluence. Experience on Enterprise/Data Center version.

Hope this information helps you in taking right decision. Good Luck !

0 votes
Doods Perea December 1, 2018

Hi @Melanie Albrecht - I am based in the Philippines and have had 7 years of working from home for Atos North America and SAP AG in supporting their JIRA and Confluence.

I am a Certified JIRA Administrator and Certified Service Desk Administrator.  I can certainly help you manage and administer your JIRA instance.

If you are still looking for someone, please email me at @ dennyreed@gmail.com.

Thanks!

0 votes
Simon Wood November 5, 2018

Hi @Melanie Albrecht

Have you seen this: clearhub.tech ?

The solution is literally designed to help with your types of challenges... 

Melanie Albrecht December 16, 2018

Nope, I hadn't seen this. Thanks.

Suggest an answer