How to get Jira to send an email to an Assignee one day before due date on ticket

Ted April 20, 2021

Ok, all I need is Jira to send a reminder email to the Ticket Assignee 1 day before the due date on a ticket.

This seems like a simple request, but cannot get this done.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

@Ted You will need to create an automation rule with a scheduled trigger, e.g. runs every day at 9am.

In your schedule trigger you can include a JQL to search for issues, which is where you will need to add duedate = startofday("+1d") to find all tasks with a due date of tomorrow.

You will then use the Send Email action to send the email to the assignee.

Hope this helps!

Ted April 21, 2021

Thank you! Now a dumb question, how would you do this?  I am very new to using SQL so can you please give me some pointers?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021
  1. Go to Project Settings > Automation then click on Create Rule
  2. Select the Scheduled trigger
    1. You can use CRON statements here if you wish to select a specific recurring schedule - e.g. a CRON statement of 0 0 8 * * ? will schedule the rule every single day at 8am
    2. You will want to tick the "run a JQL" checkbox and enter the JQL in my above message, which will action all tasks with a due date of tomorrow. You might also want to add in any other JQL conditions if you wish (e.g. issuetype, status etc.)
    3. You might also want to check the "only include issues..." checkbox, if there are many issues in your project, as otherwise it might affect the performance of the automation rule.trigger.png
  3. Using the Send Email action, enter a recipient, a subject and email body.
  4. Publish the rule and you should be good to go. With scheduled rules, you can manually trigger them for testing purposes, so I recommend giving this a go and then checking the audit log to see if it was successful or if there were any failures.rule.png
Ted April 26, 2021

Awesome!  Thank you so much! :)

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

@Ted No worries! If this answered your question, feel free to hit the Accept Answer button above so if anyone in the future has the same question it might help them out :)

Ted April 26, 2021

This worked for me!  Thank you.

Celine Penaredondo October 26, 2021

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_  I was trying to get a notification email from an issue scheduled date the same day and same time it is scheduled, with that said should I just change the duedate = startofday("+1d") to duedate = startofday("+0d")? 

Thanks!

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2021

@Celine Penaredondo You can just use startofday()

Like Celine Penaredondo likes this
Celine Penaredondo October 27, 2021

Thank you for this quick reply. I actually tried this and I didn't receive any email notification on the scheduled time and date. There might be something I missed. 

What I want to do is get an email reminder of the Scheduled Time of the issue. I just don't know where to start. Thanks! @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ 

amit_hergass November 11, 2021

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_  I am trying to do the same thing but to take into account the business days. For example on a Friday, I would like to warn the assignee about the tasks that needs to be completed on Monday.

Something along the lines of comparing the due date to now.plusBusinessDays(1) but that doesn't work for me. 

Thanks.

Callum Carlile November 15, 2021

@amit_hergass This should have worked as per the documentation on this (see below diagram, or full docs here). The value you provided above is option number 4 in the diagram - did you definitely use the {{ }} brackets before and after the smart value?

When you say it didn't work, did it still post the date of the Saturday? Or were there some kind of errors?

business days.png

amit_hergass November 16, 2021

Hi @Callum Carlile 

Thanks for your response. 

The problem was related to the date format.

The way it works for me:

project = my_project AND statusCategory != Done and dueDate = "{{now.plusDays(1).toBusinessDay().format("YYYY-MM-dd")}}"
1 vote
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2021

You can use automation in jira to send notifications based on due date. Here's a handy thread on how to do that: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Notification-for-due-dates/qaq-p/1645896

Ted April 21, 2021

Thank you for the link. :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events