How to find dangling attachments

Jiri Pik December 20, 2017

Is there a way to find all attachments in both JIRA and Confluence which are no longer referenced by any page / issue?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

The answer is "no" really, because you can't have dangling attachments.  Attachments belong to pages or issues.  They can't exist outside them.  Delete, move, rename a page or issue and the attachments go with it.

Confluence I suppose does have one other layer - you could argue that something is "dangling" if there are no macros that expose an attachment (but it would still be on a page)

There is a system "dangling" as well.  When something has gone wrong (Crash during delete, or users adding files to the file system for example), you can end up with files in the attachments directories that do not show in the application.  They're not really dangling because the application has no knowledge of them, and the "fix" is a matter of comparing a file system against the attachments tables in the database.

Jiri Pik December 20, 2017

I got dangling attachments when I moved from hosted Confluence to self-hosted ones - some links to the images have not been properly converted for unknown reasons. 

I will check the attachments tables.

THANK YOU

Suggest an answer