How to filter for all epics with a certain label and all issues in these epics

Michael Bandy June 19, 2017

I am trying to figure out if i can use the label tag in stories, kind of like Epics which you can easily distingush which stories you have associated with that specific Epic. Trying to do that same with Labels and if that is even possible within JIRA.

Example: "Retail business line" is the Epic, and "Systems" + "Admin" are the labels. Can i search out "Systems" as the label easily, lets say i had 5 different stories that had the tag "Systems". Can i find those easily in some sort of search regardless if they are apart of the same epic?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2017

Hi Michael,

Just to clarify, if you have an Epic named Retail business line and two labels, System and Admin, you would like to know if you can search for the issues with the label System?

You can do that with a JQL search: labels = toast

Let me know if you're looking to do something else.

Cheers,

Branden

Michael Bandy June 19, 2017

Hi Branden,

thanks for the quick response. Yes essentially what I'm trying to do is have a way to search out all my stories that are associated to a certain label system for example, because you can easily search by Epic and even see how many items are associated with the Epic and even break it down into how many story points, completed etc. 

When you say JQL search what do you mean? I try to search for the labels in the search function top right but it doesn't sort by that only by story title and key words in that. We are very new to JIRA and can't seem to get this in order as we are going to have many stories with a certain epic, but then sub sections using "Labels".

thanks. 

Suggest an answer