How to export all content from Trello card to Jira (including Comments and Checklists?)

Dipen Patel March 11, 2019

Hi,

We have lots of Trello cards for activities that we've worked on.  Each card contains lots of Comments and Checklists.

Every time I perform an import from Trello into Jira, the basic shell and the story of the cards come across, but not the comments and checklists.

How do get those imported?   Should I export all data from Trello to CSV file and then into Jira?  Will that save all my comments and checklists?

1 answer

2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2019

Hello Dipen,

How are you? I hope you're having a nice day.

Please, allow me to bring up some concepts and options that I was able to find about the two kinds of information you are requiring from Trello.

Checklists:

Investigating a little bit further on this, I was able to identify that Trello Checklists are not importing to JIRA when you have access to JIRA Software application. If you have only JIRA Core, they are imported as sub-task issues as documented below:

Importing data from Trello

That been said, there was developed a Trello Power-up called Smart Checklist Exporter, where you can export:

• a single card checklist as a .txt file
  • all board checklists into a .csv file

After that, you may copy the checklist contents from the file and paste it into the Smart Checklist full-screen editor. 

For more instructions on how to perform it, you can check the documentation below:

Migrating from Trello to Jira as Easy as ABC with the New Trello Power-Up

Comments:

Testing in my personal JIRA Cloud instance, my comments were properly copied to JIRA.

Checking other users facing the same comment import problem, the only related case I was able to find was reporting that the comments are being merged with the activity on JIRA, probably because they were copied from another Trello board:

When importing trello data, comments and activity both are merging

Can you check if you are not facing the same problem?

Let me know if this information helps. :)

Deleted user July 27, 2021

the Smart Checklist Exporter does not take reconnect all the checklists with their parents.

Like Marina Vafaei likes this
Carmen Kompatscher October 20, 2021

Hi Petter, 

thanks for your detailed answer here. Can you explain if there is a way to add the checklists from Trello as sub-tasks in Jira by using the Smart Checklist Exporter? 

Thanks,

Carmen  

Like Paul Wareham likes this

Suggest an answer