How to edit buttons, fields, screens, etc.

New JIRA administrator, and I just set up a new Project. My old company had rich field features like being able to edit issues via a button and change a issue type via drop-down selection. I can't seem to modify any of the screens to do these (seemingly?) simple things. I've watched Youtube videos, searched the KB and now I'm asking for help after having spent several solid hours on this. Please advise.

1 answer

0 votes

All issues have an "edit" button if you have edit permissions in the project.

Changing issue type can be complex.  It's a structural thing.  But you can do it with a drop-down if you put issue type on the edit screen definition, and make sure the various issue types all use the same field configuration and workflow.

I have administrator permissions, I don't have an edit button when looking at an issue screen. It's maddening. I can't even assign the issue to myself.

I created a post rule to assign new tickets to the reporter and then created a new issue which resulted in the issue being auto-assigned to me. I still have no edit button in the new issue.

Admin rights give you admin.  Not "I can do anything", as that's a dreadful permissions model (and really gets in the way when you have even a small system with a modicum of complexity)

You need to make yourself a user within that project.  Check the permission scheme to see what roles or groups to add yourself to.

All JIRA users have been added to the project - of which I'm a member also. I added myself as a solo user outside the groups. Logged out/in. No change.

Please, re-read the permission scheme.  What does it say for "create", "edit" and "transition" to start with?

Create: Project role: Users, atlassian-addons-project-access

Edit: ... OH! THAT'S THE PROBLEM!

Copied the permissions scheme, made an update. FIXED! 

Beers are on me.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,997 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot