How to disable notifications for all group group members

Antonio Petricca October 3, 2017

Hi, at my company we have a (licensed) JIRA configured with the default notifications scheme (Watchers + Assignee + Reporter). All users are assigned to a custom business unit group.

The issue is: each time we do any action over a task, all the members of the above group are notified by email, despite of the notification scheme, generating a lot of spam.

Why this happens? How can I exclude the recipients which are not watchers, nor assignee, nor reporter?

Thank you!

Antonio Petricca

2 answers

0 votes

I used the Notifications Helpers. It says the that users cannot receive notifications, but in the real world they receive any notification!

I checked it a project role is assigned to notifications scheme, but as I said, the configuration is the standard one (watcher/assignee/reporter).

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2017

Have you checked for Joe Pitt question?

"Do you have a 'fake user' with an email pointing to a distribution list that includes the group that is in the notification scheme?"

No, I have any user of this kind.

Can I issue some query to discover why we get notifications?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2017

Hi Antonio,

Did you check if the team members are watchers of these issues? Also, every user can choose a "do not notify me" checkbox for their actions in the user preferences.

As I said ALL the group members receive notifications regardless of thier watcher/assignee/report status.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2017

Did you try to use the notification helper?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

Make sure the notification scheme isn't notifying a project role the group may be attached to.

Do you have a 'fake user' with an email pointing to a distribution list that includes the group that is in the notification scheme?

Suggest an answer